Friday, September 19, 2014

BoD Friday Night Thread

1. davidbonzaisaldanamontgomerySeptember 19, 2014 at 5:36 PM

CHEERS IS FILMED IN FRONT OF A LIVE STUDIO AUDIENCE

2. Forget school, dopey. Take the money. We can be partners like Tiger Woods and his daddy.

3. It's boa noite.

4. I thought boa tarde was early in the evening and noite was near bed time?

5. Bom dia= Good morning

Boa tarde= good afternoon

Boa noite= Good evening and good night.

6. I was supposed to be here when the thread opened but wanted to emulate Goodell by being 15 minutes late.

7. Bayless always delivers unlike a certain commissioner.

8. Rachel Nichols laying the SmackDown on Goodell was great.

9. I just hope Bayless doesn't pick the Cowboys this week because they're my big bet of the week, and he is cursed when it comes to predicting.

10. She did a good job, but wasn't she just doing what journalists "should" do, even if many don't?

11. ... I'm probably picking them just for the reverse curse. Hope you haven't bet on them already...

12. I have. The line was low as fuck. I don't like that 88 percent of the bettors are going with the Cowboys, but if they lose to the Rams, their seasons is already over.

13. Saw KE....Itami's debut, it was subpar, he need to vary his offense.

14. Bayless delivers except when it comes to predictions.

15. Beer and Coffee rant. Dufaq?

16. If WWE could put together Punk vs. Austin for next year's mania, I'll resubscribe to the network.

17. Leaving ESPN can be the best career move these days.

18. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 19, 2014 at 6:04 PM

NORM!

19. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 19, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Because I love you all, here's episode 2 of the TribCast!

Evening everybody!

20. I must have had too much beer and coffee myself.

21. Seriously who shills their projects like that? Do you see me needlessly plugging http://getridofcable,net like that?

22. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 19, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Someone whose production staff sucks at SEO and he needs all the clicks he can muster?

23. But watch the storyline be really lame, like Austin threw Punk's Frisbee on top of the McGregor's roof.

24. Having never seen him wrestle before, he reminded me of Daniel Bryan.

25. Take it from someone who lives in the future: don't drink beer with coffee, but if you must, have war Guinness.

26. Who are you to criticize KENTA!?

27. Please, we all know it would start by Austin distracting Punk and costing him his match against Adam Rose.

28. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 19, 2014 at 6:09 PM

And a LOT of What?s

29. Yes, but it's much easier to do that when you have a powerful company backing you. She works for CNN now, right? You won't see Random Reporter X from the local newspaper going after Goodell like that, not because they don't have the stones, but because their company doesn't have the respect.

30. I know a lot of people here don't like Jim Cornette, and that's understandable, but his latest podcast with Sean Wheelock talking about the birth of the UFC was really good. He also did a really good one either last week or the week before where he talked to some guys who'd written a book about the history of wrestling in Montreal.

31. Speaking of that whole Adam Rose thing, I'd actually like to see a Rose/Reigns feud where one time the bunny kicks the shit out of Rose, and then he takes the rabbit-helmet off and it's Roman.

32. Whether you agree or disagree with Cornette, there is no denying that he has had the best shoot interviews ever.

33. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 19, 2014 at 6:13 PM

You are a great friend!

34. Thanks... but don't let that get out, everyone will want to be my friend then and that is more pressure than I can handle!

35. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 19, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Fuck 'em. You're too good for them.

36. Which championship would you want WWE to bring back: Hardcore, Light Heavy/Cruiserweight, European, TV title, or the 2nd world title (split the WWE WHC belts again)?

37. Is anyone watching Night of Champions?

38. Here on a wrestling centric blog? Doubtful.

39. I am on the Thanksgiving episode we were talking about BTW.

40. I wish You could make a disqus post by pressing enter... can't tell you how many times i have done that and only later realized I didn't make my comment.

41. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 19, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Nice. I was watching Toby and Sam's Day of Jubilee when I got home.

42. Which one is that? not good with episode names...

43. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 19, 2014 at 6:19 PM

None. Too many titles as it is.

44. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 19, 2014 at 6:20 PM

The episode where: Mendoza is confirmed; Sam and Mallory discuss school vouchers; Josh deals with a justice candidate who wants reparations; CJ does the Jackal; and Mandy asks Toby to help her get a new Panda Bear from China. Plus, Zoey hangs out with drug dealers.

45. I disagree. Their roster is deep enough to sustain at least one more. And it makes for more compelling angles in the midcard (or main event if there are 2 world titles).

46. I really can't see Cena winning, or at least walking out the champ. Maybe now is when my Rollins cash-in scenario happens, but if Brock loses it means that a) Brock loses all or most of his usefulness, and b) logically speaking, Brock gets a rematch... and I can't see them doing that match again.

47. Oooooh saw that one recently... excellent. I love how Sam was arguing the opposite of what he thinks just because he can't help himself.

48. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 19, 2014 at 6:22 PM

And yet, the titles are treated like crap, so why bother creating another one? Personally, I say merge the US and IC Titles into the IC Title and then introduce a TV Title.

49. Adam "Colorado" CurrySeptember 19, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Cruiserweight.

50. Also how Toby forbids anyone being happy until it is official.

51. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 19, 2014 at 6:23 PM

I say that was smart. You don't want to tempt fate like that. You end up bringing down wrath from the thing high atop the place! You've gotta go outside, turn around three times and spit.

52. "Not because I am right and you are wrong, though I am and you are... but because I am better at this than you"

53. If any the Cruiserweight just for the faster paced matches.

54. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 19, 2014 at 6:24 PM

"Not this time."

55. Stranger in the AlpsSeptember 19, 2014 at 6:25 PM

So here I am, listening to http://queenstribune.com/tribcast-episode-2-talk-radio/ while browsing http://getridofcable.net trying to find channels to add to my Roku.

I work for free, fellas.

56. I honestly think Toby wouldn't be a good communications guy and would be a much better policy adviser.

57. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 19, 2014 at 6:25 PM

That sounds like a great way to pass the time!

58. I have faith that someday the titles won't be treated like afterthoughts.

59. You really need to get something for me to shill...

60. Stranger in the AlpsSeptember 19, 2014 at 6:26 PM

I might restart my album review blog.

61. I will be your whore... wait that sounded bad.

62. Falcons-Bucs has become the standard bearer for football blowouts in 2014. I'm seeing South Florida go up 14-0 on UConn and thinking, "They're about to go Atlanta on them."

63. :: People under 25 :: "What's an album?"

64. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 19, 2014 at 6:28 PM

You should review Billy Conahan, who you can hear on episode 2 of the TribCast.

But not really. That dude was terrible. Although the track we played sampled heavily from Ocarina of Time.

65. Stranger in the AlpsSeptember 19, 2014 at 6:29 PM

I might restart my digitally-downloadable-collection-of -tracks-I-put-on-my-iPod blog

66. Roman Reigns Vs Rusev? That's a match that should absolutely not be happening 2 days before a PPV.

This company has lost the plot.

67. Rolls of the tongue.

68. Ahem... DQ finish.

69. Stranger in the AlpsSeptember 19, 2014 at 6:30 PM

If you're going to sample of video game soundtrack, that would not be the one.

70. When Stranger posts the thread he gives me options. Bayless just mails it completely in.
    Back in the days of kayfabe, what wrestler did you know for certain had put his notice in and completely stopped caring? Off-hand, I say the Road Warriors in 1990.

71. Didn't they do that match on the SD before another recent PPV?

72. Stranger in the AlpsSeptember 19, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Stranger cares about the little Doomers.

73. it really turned into a high school game. Only thing missing was the running clock in the 4th quarter.

74. You need options to be spelled out for you?

"In this thread, we use the English language and discuss things."

75. we in turn, care about you!

76. You keep forgetting I'm black. I wouldn't even be here without white people showing me the way.

77. Is that you in the avatar?

78. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 19, 2014 at 6:33 PM

I brought a new photographer on board today. It's a shame his name isn't Odabee Jones.

79. Are you darker or lighter than that guy?

80. Now there is a good discussion topic... video game soundtracks that were awesome.

81. I haven't seen a good "White teacher goes to the 'hood and makes the kids care about school" move in like 3 years.

82. a bit darker but not by much.

83. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 19, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Most comm. directors I know actually have to deal with the media. Toby seemed to be a senior advisor, speechwriter and guy who handled the press secretary.

84. Can't book a finish? Don't book the match.

85. Fun fact: my official role with our company was modeled after Toby.

86. Bayless is the biggest fraud n this blog... he can't even do something this simple correctly.

87. you ever seen that movie that Coolio did the song for? The name escapes me at the moment. I've always been afraid to watch it.

88. ...Well, you're still mulatto enough.

89. So I'm stuck in Biloxi, MS and I don't gamble. Dammit.

90. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 19, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Especially considering the "Hey Listen!" that's looped throughout the thing.

91. MGS3. DISCUSSION OVAH.

92. I'm a power player. I go into every game with 6 fouls and intend to use every one of them

93. I guess I don't see how they pegged him for that role as Sam would have been much better for it IMO.

94. Now you're talking for the last.... I don't know, seven years.

95. Just saw a headline where some NFL scout called Jameis Winston a "fraud." How is he a fraud exactly? Is he not really a quarterback? Does he not really attend Florida State? Is Jameis even his real name?

96. Let the church say amen!

97. Dangerous Minds?, about as crappy as you'd expect

98. One Winged Angel from FF7 would like to speak to you.

99. For me, DQ finishes on TV are fine for me. Just don't book them on PPVs.

100. Yeah, that's it

101. Dangerous Minds. Then there was the one with Matthew Perry, and the one with Hillary Swank. Those three come to mind first.

102. Sounds like you've got the "blues"... of what kind, I don't know.

103. Basically being stuck on an AF base with nothing to do.

104. I said *raps desk* discussion.... over.

105. Liked the semi-similar Finding Forrester, depending on how sick you got of the "you're the man now, dog" meme

106. Devin Harris was nice, like All-Star caliber nice, for like a year or two. Then he just fell off.

107. Freddie Coleman has been filling in on Numbers Never Lie. He's been a hot take machine all week. He's really gunning for his own show. The kid is 20. Rape stuff aside, he's just an average college kid.

108. You know that guy though right... DONT TELL ME ALL BLACK PEOPLE DONT KNOW EACH OTHER

109. ....All the time......

110. (I don't know the next line, only went to a "black" church twice)

111. Forgot about that one. yeah, I think Hollywood is about due for another.

112. What was the one with Billy Blanks and the heel turn by the black dude off Ghostbusters? Was that the same movie?

113. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 19, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Probably because Sam seemed like he was happy just being on staff. Had they gone with their first choice for communications director, Toby would have walked.

114. Dick Vitale wrote Jameis needs to talk to "the Classy Derek Jeter." (He capitalized 'Classy' just like that.) Jeter wasn't famous when he was 20, and Jeter is just good at doing his dirt under the radar.

115. The Hardyz on the Jericho podcast... God they're so inbred. I bet, somehow, Jeff is actually Matt's quarter-uncle.

116. the correct answer is God is good all the time, and all the time God is good. You really need to study up on Black Churchology if you ever want to make it to Jeopardy

117. Billy Blanks and Ernie Hudson? I gotta look that up now...

118. Communications director.

119. Damn... I don't suppose I can use "I voted for Obama" here?

Seriously though I am militantly atheist... but those were the only times I enjoyed church (a family friend that was babysitting me took me with them)

120. More specifically, at this point I'm the point man in negotiations with distributors for service contracts.

121. Eh, but in today's society, he should actually get credit for that. 20 years as THE guy in NYC and the harshest scandal involving him that really hit the public was creepily/douchily giving memorabilia baskets to people he fucks? There's a lot of scandal ridden pieces of crap that'd sign up for that rep

122. What industry, if you don't mind me asking?

123. it was one of those 3 in the morning on HBO movies. Ernie Hudson had the kids selling dope or something. It may actually be Jean Claude Van Dam. I know the babyface was a martial arts dude.

124. Speaking of mailing it in, anybody seen the previews for "Dolphin Tale 2" with Morgan Freeman? He's pulling a total CTC job there.

125. Yeah, I'm just saying Jeter wouldn't exactly be able to give Jameis advice on how to handle being a megastar on a college campus at 20 years old.

126. I'm not big into church as I used to be but I still enjoy going for the singing.

127. I enjoyed Emperor Doom. Though, I read it in the new "Judgment Day" trade where it was slated after yet another stupid battle between the Avengers and the Legion of the Unliving.

128. hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Yeah, I hope everyone involved in that crapfest is.

129. Fair enough. Though, 22 running around NYC or 20 on a campus, I'd bet it's easier to get shit covered up in college than it would be in NYC

130. Security and monitoring services, in a nutshell.

131. I'm thoroughly confused with all this stuff now. I'm not much on moralizing stuff but it seems inconsistent to say we need to treat women better and then high fiving a dude for banging scores of chicks.

132. Sounds interesting, you must be a charismatic dude.

133. I don't think so. This was a straight to video deal. Let me check IMDB

134. "We are both writers"

"I suppose if you expand the definition to people that can spell"

135. Wait, yeah that's it. I've merged about 8 different movies.

136. I'm looking at Hudson's IMDB. I forgot he was also the principal in "The Ron Clark Story," which is the Matthew Perry movie I mentioned before.

137. While we're talking church and movies, have you watched any of those Black church Tyler-Perry-lite B-movies? Robin Givens, Clifton Powell and Eddie from Family Matters are usually in them.

138. I'm here for 40 minutes, I demand to be entertained!

139. Has there been a good Night of Champions PPV yet? I remember most of them being mediocre as hell.

140. 2011 was okayish.

141. I hated that one.

142. Yeah it kicks off the fall/winter doldrums

143. My ex-wife is big into those. We'd always grab one from the 5 dollar bin when we go to Walmart.

144. All this talk of black churches made me go and dig out this video again

145. Henry winning was cool.

146. I can't watch it. What is it?

147. Overshadowed by HHH beating Punk.

148. Serious question... your name isn't really Devin Harris?

149. Congregations dancing with Drum & Bass impsed over it.

150. Anyone remember Kardinal Offishal? I sure as hell didn't until I heard the "Beautiful" song by Akon.

151. No. lulz. He's a basketball player.

152. Who, what and who?

153. Fuck. I really need to learn more about sports.

154. that's never a bad thing. Keeps ya from falling asleep.

155. Only one I saw, and it might not fit the exact criteria, was "Who Made the Potato Salad" starring Jaleel White. He was meeting his fiancée's family for the first time, they lived in the hood, shenanigans ensue...

156. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 19, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Dangerous Minds.

157. He's too stupid to be an NFL QB.

158. Used to listen back in the early 2000s. Can't remember the song though.

159. Man that was a lot of words I don't recognize.

160. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 19, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Was it even English?

161. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 19, 2014 at 6:57 PM

DANCE MONKEY!

162. Everyone should check out that Mental Floss article that Scott posted at my suggestion. Great, great read. Grantland also had a good article about what football might look like without the NFL.

163. The stories are very formulaic. They work best when the cast has fun with it and goes way over the top with the performance.

164. So is Ben Roethlisberger and he did alright for himself.

165. don't worry. He's a guy you wouldn't know unless you really, really followed the NBA

166. They ran the ball his first couple of years and have had a great defense for most of his tenure.

167. Ladies and gentlemen, this is the X-F-L.

168. Something about an acorn...

169. It was rather comical and could have been so much worse (relatively speaking), with the Falcons fumbling inside the 5-yard line. At least the Bucs scored:

Sadly, I genuinely thought the Cardinals had suffered a worse loss.

170. Evidently the Chicago team came out to Brock Lesnar's music.

171. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 19, 2014 at 6:59 PM

I had a guy leave me a message on my voicemail in what I assume was Arabic this week - other members of my staff agreed with my guess. No idea what he said or what he wanted.

172. I watched two games, at most.

173. "We're going to bomb your building next Monday, and we're telling you this because we want to spare you."

174. Best Night of Champions match I remember is Triple H/Cena from 2008 so that PPV would probably be the best NOC.

175. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 19, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Those Obama-loving organizers?

176. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 19, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Woo!

177. Either that or the thing that falls out of trees.

178. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhrPl1Tj5xA

179. Even without football society will still need that violence void filled. The game is a lot closer to the stuff the Romans were doing than I care to admit. Took a theater class in college and had to write a paper on it.

180. The one that keeps popping up on Netflix for me is "Brother White" with the dad from Family Matters and Breckin Meyer.

181. Your fields are SMALL, goddamn.

182. Adam "Colorado" CurrySeptember 19, 2014 at 7:04 PM

I remember him from the Grindin remix, that's about it.

183. Adam "Colorado" CurrySeptember 19, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Arena League, it's 1/2 the size of an NFL field.

184. My favorite one has Tichina Arnold in it. She was on the Breakfast Club and admitted she hit the chitlin circuit cause she need the work.

185. Oh. Yeah for a minute there I was like "football can't be *that* hard. I could run that and avoid being decapitated by monsters".

186. No lie, I would easily welcome back gladiatorial games. Fuck it.