Thursday, September 25, 2014

Evening Thread - Thursday Edition

Tonight, WWE Network brings you Total Divas at 8:00 PM, followed by NXT at 9:00. NXT matches schedule include Mojo Rawley vs. Bull Dempsey, Justin Gabriel vs. Tyler Breeze, Bayley vs. Alexa Bliss and Sin Cara & Kalisto defend their NXT Tag Team Championship against the former champs, The Ascension.

MLB action: all the races are pretty much sewn up, save for a few official clinches. We know who is in, so a lot of teams are in cruise control. The highlight might be Derek Jeter's last home game on home turf.

Thursday night football: the New York Giants tackle the Washington Redskins. NCAA action will have Texas Tech at Oklahoma State and UCLA at Arizona State.

Of course, you're free to discuss any non-sports matters as well.

1. Halfway through with the 1998 ECW Timeline with New Jack. Good so far and Jack is totally different here as he does not go off on anyone and stays calm the whole time. He still brings the crazy stories too.

2. Classic or Clusterfuck?

Brock Lesnar vs The Miz

3. Classic I think. Watching Lesnar toss him around like a rag doll has appeal

4. Somewhere in between.

5. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 25, 2014 at 6:03 PM

I have been wiping glitter off of myself all damn afternoon.

6. Wcw really started to go bad in 1998. This shit is almost unwatchable. I made through uncensored 98 but I might be about to tap out.

7. Star power was there and ratings kept steady until mid 99

8. So if Reigns doesn't need hernia surgery and is able to work Night of Champions, does the Rollins-Cena-Brock angle play out as we saw it?
    Win or lose, if Rollins goes through a grueling match against the powerhouse Reigns, would he even be in a condition to consider cashing in on Brock? I don't think WWE would want us thinking you can tangle with Reigns and walk away under your own power, let alone feel spry enough to take on Brock Lesnar an hour later.

9. Even as a guy that doesn't watch baseball... the Jeter thing is just sad.

10. Is it 99% rat related and how he owned them?? I've heard many stories of the guy being a douche to female fans (and actual ring rats)

11. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 25, 2014 at 6:13 PM

...

He's definitely not making Night of Champions...

12. Plan A was Kane.

13. I enjoyed it when the Wolfpac formed but you're a little before that.

14. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 25, 2014 at 6:14 PM

How so?

15. Watching American Hustle for the first time. I'm sure I'll be entertained.

16. Fun fact, parts of that movie were filmed in my city

17. Ok so what's the deal with the Nitro on the Network post? They removed an episode?

18. Havent got any rat stories yet

19. Just the end of an era in sports. Yeah, it'll always be just a game, but that guy means the world to a lot of people. I know more than a few who are going to be in tears tonight.

20. Really that's pretty awesome. Did it throw off your city? Traffic was a real bitch when they did the Winter Soldier here.

21. They shot some Spiderman 2 in Rochester and it was an absolute pain in the ass. The main street of downtown was essentially closed off for the entire length of downtown.

22. Does it impress anyone that HBO's Leftovers was filmed in my town? Lol nope

23. It was on the other side of the city but yeah, they shut down the roads at night for some of the scenes

24. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 25, 2014 at 6:21 PM

I started really paying attention to baseball in 1995, so he basically defines my fandom. With Jeter and Rivera both gone now, Yankee games will be much less must-see going forward.

25. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 25, 2014 at 6:22 PM

A whole bunch of TV is filmed in my part of Queens.

26. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 25, 2014 at 6:22 PM

I really enjoyed it when I saw it in theaters. Thought it was a lot of fun.

27. It's going to be very hard to create anything close to that again. He's arguably the greatest Yankee of all time.

28. Fading the Giants-Redskins game, though I think the Redskins will win.

29. Jennifer Lawrence was awesome. Bale was good too

30. Sam Adams Octoberfest and Thursday Night Football... man I'm glad they decided to get that stuff on network television finally.

31. Hope it's a shootout. I've got Cruz going.

32. Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Bojack Horseman.

33. So my job told me the harder I work, the more hours I will work. I actually want less hours, though, so I guess I should mail-it-in.

34. I have both Morris and Jennings

35. I don't know why but I mark out when I recognize local things lol

36. Shoot Interview poll is up. The theme is "Stars of the 90's"

37. Jennifer was awesome in the Fappening too

38. no he's not; olbermann did a great segment on how way overrated he is. There are at least 10 better yankees.

39. Cruz is an amazing second receiver, shame Nicks didn't work out in NY

40. DiMaggio is spinning in his grave right now

41. Work is so dumb. Mine recently told me that a position is available where I could get a 25% raise for doing less work... all because it manages twice as many people.

42. I still hate the new stadium. Crowd was a disappointment tonight during his first at bat. I miss the original :(

43. Nicks is too injury prone

44. I hate people who say wrestling should be more like MMA. That would be like a football league wanting to be like the NFL, except the football league is fake.

45. Stranger in the AlpsSeptember 25, 2014 at 6:31 PM

If Sid does not win this, all is wrong with the world.

46. Yeah, sulky bitch too. Would have been a perfect world perfect 1-2 punch though

47. He has the early lead but will he hold on until the end?
    TUNE INTO THE BoD SATURDAY NIGHT THREAD AT 7PM EST TO FIND OUT

48. If it's the one in the hotel room though... the Sid one is just so bad.

49. Yeah but I don't know why Cruz has decided to model his game after Braylon Edwards. He was doing fine before that.

50. The DDP one with Scott Hudson the same weekend as the Nash one?

51. Stranger in the AlpsSeptember 25, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Tha Mutha Ship, if you weeeel.

52. All that did was prove to me that Jeter is in the LeBron/Mayweather range, in which the worst thing critics can say about you is that you're not the greatest of all-time.

53. Sid! Sid! Sid!

54. Its the RF Video one. Just picked it up and have not seen it yet .

55. Adam "Colorado" CurrySeptember 25, 2014 at 6:33 PM

No way.

56. OK.. for the first time ever, I watched 5 minutes of Total Divas.. now I want to blow my brains out. How do people watch that shit??? I thought Raw's story lines were bad.. that show is worse.

57. Is anyone else's Facebook feed filled with people chattering about Scandal? People live blog that show like it's a PPV here on the BOD.

58. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 25, 2014 at 6:33 PM

There were scenes in the second season of Orange is the New Black filmed in spots I walk by every day. They filmed parts of S3 down the street from me.

59. Raw has storylines....where?

60. Eh, I think he's just shouldered too much of the burden. At times for the past season or two, he's been the only competent guy to throw to. If McAdoo's offense starts to gel, he can hopefully rebound

61. It's no better or worse than any other reality show.

62. Adam "Colorado" CurrySeptember 25, 2014 at 6:34 PM

10 might be pushing it, but he's definitely behind Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, and DiMaggio.

63. I have not once in my life seen a Facebook post about Scandal.

64. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 25, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Olbermann said Graig Nettles was a better Yankee than Derek Jeter. Nettles? C'mon.

65. Tune in to see stars like Abeyance, Parallax, Bobby, Steve Ferrari, and Jobber123. Plus, who will have a meltdown and leave forever (two weeks)?
    TUNE IN TO FIND OUT

66. And yet a fan of Scandal (or Breaking Bad, or Game of Thrones, etc.) will still give you the "You know wrestling is fake, right?" line...

67. The girls are very attractive.

68. Stranger in the AlpsSeptember 25, 2014 at 6:35 PM

I tried once, and there was this huge vaccum tube that came out of the back of my TV and was heading straight for my brain. I had to fight that thing off.

69. Consider yourself lucky. On my feed there is a person (who's about to get dropped from my timeline) counting down the minutes.

70. Yeah I am not a fan of reality show either.. I have never watched Housewives or any other of those type. Knowing production and editing the way I do, it all seems so fake to me..

71. Stranger in the AlpsSeptember 25, 2014 at 6:36 PM

*rubs hands together* Ohhh man, I can't wait.

72. I think Redskins will get rid of RGIII next year.

73. Well, that goes for anything, really.

74. Adam "Colorado" CurrySeptember 25, 2014 at 6:37 PM

If that match went any longer than 90 seconds everyone on the booking team needs to be shitcanned.

75. I don't think you need any background in production or editing to see how fake reality TV is... just as fake as any sitcom.

76. Stranger in the AlpsSeptember 25, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Olberman should know better. The guy is on record as being a baseball fan and a historian. He's just trying to be "that guy".

77. I always respond to that with...

"What's your favorite show of all time?"

They'll respond with something horrible like... Buffy... and I'll say...

"You know that's fake, right?"

78. I would also say Rivera, ford and berra are better than him

79. I actually watch that show after a girl I was trying to get with got me hooked. Same thing with Soap Operas back in the day. I will watch anything if it might get me closer to sex..

80. Adam "Colorado" CurrySeptember 25, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Being "that guy" is Olberman's whole career.

That being said, I don't think Jeter was at any point the best player on his own team.

81. Hopefully you played Jennings last week!

82. Are there any stellar QB prospects for next years draft? Because I don't think Cousins is a guy who you can build a team around. I think they'll give him one last chance next year and get rid of him then if he fails/gets hurt again.

83. I'm still amazed how much they're using Donnell ...fumble last week aside, he hasn't been bad either. Shockey must be drunk in a bar somewhere wondering why they didn't force it to him like this

84. Adam "Colorado" CurrySeptember 25, 2014 at 6:41 PM

I don't like to compare pitchers to position players, but agree on Berra.

85. Why isn't Cousins a guy you can build the team around?

86. Too hard to compare pitchers and position players.

87. He played like shit at the end of the season last year.

88. Stranger in the AlpsSeptember 25, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Derek Jeter vs. Roger Maris. Pick 'em.

89. Manning was awful his first year.

90. I did and still got smoked

91. Stranger in the AlpsSeptember 25, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Maris only played 12 seasons and hit .260 for his career. Most notable for 61*

92. You know, not everyone is a fan of Peyton Manning but the dude knows his sandwiches. Chicken Parm DOES taste so good.

93. Adam "Colorado" CurrySeptember 25, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Jeter. Outside of one season Maris was an average player at best.

94. Are we really undervaluing Jeter that much to put Maris in the mix? Brady Anderson busy or something for a one year wonder spot?

95. To which they'll sometimes say, "Yeah, but they don't try to act like it's real."
    And I'll say, "Really? So during an intense scene in Breaking Bad, Cranston turns to the screen and reminds us that he's not really getting shot at?"

96. Stranger in the AlpsSeptember 25, 2014 at 6:44 PM

I'm going with guys whose numbers are retired as a measuring stick for the greatest Yankees.

97. If Jeter was ugly nor a yankee, he would not be getting this much love. Greg Maddux and Randy Johnson are 2 of the greatest players of all time and are not getting this much press nor love on their farewell tour.

98. It tastes ever better after getting a superbowl rin.....

nevermind.

99. Adam "Colorado" CurrySeptember 25, 2014 at 6:45 PM

So easy to make too. You probably have everything needed in your kitchen right now.

100. Huh, didn't know Maris's number was retired...still Jeter though here

101. Adam "Colorado" CurrySeptember 25, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Maris' career #'s: .260 BA, 1325 hits, .345 OBP, 275 HR in 12 seasons.

Like I said, average.

102. In my old neighborhood in Harlem, they film at least one Law & Order SVU scene every two months. Never could figure out if that was good or bad.

103. That's not even close. And I can't stand the hero worship that goes on around Jeter. But Maris isn't in the same league.

104. Jeter cause I know zilch about Maris sans the homerun thing.

105. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 25, 2014 at 6:48 PM

There's not much else to Maris outside the homerun thing.

106. Adam "Colorado" CurrySeptember 25, 2014 at 6:48 PM

THIS. If he played for any other team (outside of the Sawx, maybe), no one would give a fuck.

107. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!

108. Can I shoot on football during the work week? I hate it for college and pro but for different reasons.

109. Jeter is so much about the team....even though he batted the entire season in the 2 spot despite having 9 spot numbers.

110. Yep, he's second tier all time yankee, but I'm not sure I'd put Maris even 3rd or 4th tier

111. Stranger in the AlpsSeptember 25, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Screw it. I list 'em. Feel free to re-rank:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Lou Gehrig
    3. Joe DiMaggio
    4. Mickey Mantle
    5. Yogi Berra
    6. Mariano Rivera
    7. Reggie Jackson
    8. Derek Jeter
    9. Whitey Ford
    10. Thurman Munson

112. are you subliminally telling us you joined the klan?

113. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 25, 2014 at 6:50 PM

And for this, you can blame the, what, four or five teams that passed on Jeter in the 1992 draft.

This, tonight, it's all the fault of the Houston Astros. Blame them.

114. The pro game's turning to pure crap. Only watching for Giants. Never liked college

115. looks good with me; could argue over a spot here or there

116. Fuck everyone that has ever worn that uniform. Fuck them IN THE ASS

117. Tuesday is still an off day right? So they only prepared for what? two days?

118. Adam "Colorado" CurrySeptember 25, 2014 at 6:51 PM

I'd put Jeter ahead of Jackson but behind Ford.

119. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 25, 2014 at 6:51 PM

I wouldn't argue this.

120. I wasn't. I apologize for outing you

121. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 25, 2014 at 6:52 PM

As a Yankee? No way.

122. Which isn't exactly true. Maris was a 2x MVP, played solid defense as an OF, and if baseball-reference was working for me at the moment, pretty sure he got traded to the Cards and was a solid player for them when they made their pennant runs in the late 60s.

123. Do you honestly think I would have talked to one of you people this long if that were true?

124. agree; overall careers (arod); on yankees (jeter)

125. You high? Jackson is 1.

126. Couldn't tell you for sure, but that sounds right. They should stop fucking around and just squash college football on saturday nights. "Safe and healthy" league and short weeks with no time to prepare for next or recover from last does not compute

127. Adam "Colorado" CurrySeptember 25, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Jeter was picked that high?

128. CONTEXT. 60's weren't exactly a time of high powered offense.

129. Reggie over Derek, Whitey AND Thurman?!?! Reggie was a Yankee for only five seasons.

130. I meant overall. If it weren't for A-Rod's inconsistencies in the playoffs, I'd rank him higher.

131. In fairness, the whole team had 9 spot numbers except Gardner and Ellsbury, but the logic checks out.

132. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 25, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Absolutely. Pre-Yankees, A-Rod was amazing and probably a much better shortstop than Jeter. But since 2004, it's been a downhill slide for A-Rod.

133. Stranger in the AlpsSeptember 25, 2014 at 6:54 PM

He was the straw that stirred the drink during the 70's dynasty. I figured his impact was a little greater.

134. "Get some cold cuts... get some cold cuts... get some cold cuts..."

Cracks me up every single time.

135. The NCAA has zero excuse. Education my behind. You got kids missing class time to play a game that could easily wait until Saturday. then the people that travel for it, what about them? Just say you trying to get this money and be done with it.

136. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 25, 2014 at 6:54 PM

OK, but Stranger was listing as Yankees. A-Rod's not there, and given his history, you'll never find a Yankee fan admit that he ever will be.

137. Adam "Colorado" CurrySeptember 25, 2014 at 6:54 PM

I totally forgot he's on the team.

138. Mantle ahead of DiMaggio for sure.

139. Fair. I might sneak Winfield on there

140. You may have given yourself the illusion that you aren't actually talking to one of us since this is the interwebs and all

141. Ok. So a solid player for the Cards in 67 when the won the WS. Dropped off in 68 when the Cards lost to Detroit.

142. idk.. I think Cal Ripken deserves to be on that list. and Willie Mays.

143. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 25, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Yeah, the "he shouldn't be batting second" argument only comes in from Jeter haters. The majority of the team has hit like crap all season. I'm not sure what kind of difference there would have been batting Jeter lower in the order.

144. Stranger in the AlpsSeptember 25, 2014 at 6:56 PM

It's too bad the Yankees stunk when he was there. I mean, not from a Red Sox point of view however. Good they sucked.

145. It's the greatest Yankees of all time.

146. Until like a week ago I thought that was you in your avatar for fucks sake.

147. Adam "Colorado" CurrySeptember 25, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Power-wise maybe, but the league BA has been pretty consistent since the dead ball era ended.

148. He loses points for playing in the most forgettable Yankee era.

149. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 25, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Wait? It's not?

150. Stranger in the AlpsSeptember 25, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Who are Guys the Yankees wished they had in their prime?

151. He was from 2000-2003 I think. Post Beast Mode Bernie, Pre A-Rod

152. That still cracks me up.

153. Oh shit.. I didn't see anything saying that. my bad

154. No. And his name isn't Devin Harris... apparently Devin Harris plays sportsball

155. 1. Ruth
    2. Gehrig
    3. Mantle
    4. DiMaggio
    5. Berra
    6. Jeter
    7. Rivera
    8. Ford
    9. Munson
    10. O'Neil

156. Since 2000, are the Yankees really 1-4 in the World Series?

157. Um. No. Not even close.

158. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 25, 2014 at 6:59 PM

The Yankees had either the fifth or sixth pick in the 1992 draft. They didn't think Jeter was going to fall that far, he was expected to go first, but the Astros decided to draft someone else.

159. I'm going to State's homecoming in November. You should join me. You'd probably feel right at home.

160. Stranger in the AlpsSeptember 25, 2014 at 6:59 PM

O'Neill, really? Interesting choice. Where's Mattingly? Also noticeable absent from my own list.

161. The D-Backs, Marlins, Phillies. I guess 1-3.

162. Out of the Big 3 Shortstops, Jeter was for sure my least favorite as a kid behind ARod and Nomah.

163. Oh I'm sure I would... wait you are a Cock?

164. 2000: def. NYM in 5 games
    2001: lost to ARZ in 7 games
    2003: lost to FLA in 6 games
    2009: def. PHI in 6 games

165. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 25, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Shocking.

166. Anything prior to the 1970s, I can greatly get into. Some of my favorite ballplayers of all time (Berra, Gehrig, Maris, Mantle) were Yankees. But when the '70s rolled around and Steinbrenner bought the team, fuck 'em all.

167. I thought they lost to them one year and then they got their revenge a few years later.

168. Adam "Colorado" CurrySeptember 25, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Ripken is the most overrated player of all time.

169. Nope, Philly one won one ring in this run and they beat Tampa.

170. Anyone ever play football at the level where QBs are calling audibles at the line? I never quite made it that far and would be interested in hearing how anyone made adjustments.

171. I am but the girl I'm seeing went to SC State. I've never been down so I said I'd roll.

172. Since we're talking Yankees, I'd have to sub Dave Winfield for Thurman Munson and Don Mattingly over Whitey Ford.

173. I can't tell if you are being sarcastic

174. 1-3 weren't they? And they were glorious losses, too.

175. Apparently, they're not 1-4. But shit, they've had a ton of meltdowns in the playoffs over the last decade.

176. Sample size, when you make it every year, they are more likely to occur.
    When you make it one a decade, less chance to happen.

You can say the same for the Patriots.

177. Not sure, though this reminded me of my late father (a former church deacon, mind you), whose official nickname for Peyton Manning whenever he was on TV was "shut the fuck up and snap the goddamn ball".

178. I played o-line and that's the stuff I hated. I used to ask the guard next to me what this dude was talking about and he'd sigh and be like "that's for the backs and receivers".

179. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 25, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Professionally? Cuz I have a couple jerseys in my closet... I really don't wanna be fucked in the ass...

180. Stranger in the AlpsSeptember 25, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Just note, as a die-hard Red Sox fan, for some reason, it did not pain me at all to list a bunch of Yankee bastards.

181. The Patriots have had tons of meltdowns in the playoffs. I won't deny that.