Monday Night Open Mic

Howdy Blog O'Doomers!

Been a hell of a weekend and a hell of a day. I swear it feels like my phone doesn't stop ringing for a three-hour span on Monday and naturally while answering calls and metaphorically putting out fires I don't get any of my stuff done.

Anyway we're approaching the dog days of the wrestling calendar as once Brock dispatches of Cena we'll go through a 3-4 month period of universal disinterest until the Royal Rumble wakes us up. Usually the Big Show is headlining cards during this dead period and thankfully that doesn't appear to be changing in 2014.

Tonight of TV:

RAW
Monday Night Football Doubleheader
Men's U.S. Open Final is on but not very competitive
Steve Buscemi is hosting an FDNY documentary on HBO.

There's other stuff too I'm sure.

Keep it clean folks!

Comments

1. JERRY JERRY JERRY

2. It would make sense for Brock to dispatch Cena...but as you know, the WWE could just as easily fall back upon LOLCENAWINS

3. I'll allow it if Seth cashes in right afterwards.

4. How does taking Ray Rice's ability to support his family help anyone?

5. He'll just have to find another job. Lots of people lose their jobs daily and no one gives a shit about them or their families or their bills.

So...really..fuck him and his stupid ass wife.

6. Stupid ass wife?

7. Lots of people don't have their issues publicized throughout the world either.

8. For putting up and going along with the charade.

9. So this will be the last Monday till early October that I can see a Raw live. And although I haven't considered the last few shows as horrible as most it's definitely been lackluster at best so I'm fine with only being able to watch Main Event and NXT for now. And the PPVs of course since I've committed to the Network.

10. She married him shortly after he went Mike Tyson on her. Yes fuck her.

11. Did she press charges?

If not, then it's a domestic issue.

12. I'm fine with the Rice move, nuts that it took a video to make things really happen though

13. No one forced him to be a professional athlete. Part of the job.

14. Didn't she attack him first?

15. I don't think one has to do with the other, really.

16. Would TMZ release video of what you're doing in an elevator?

17. Self defense is a crime?

18. Raw sounds fucking terrible tonight so I think I'm just going to put some extra hours in at work.

19. Well, it depends on what I was doing, I guess. To be serious, though, as Princess said, it goes with the territory.

20. What's he defending himself from exactly? A woman he supposedly loved. He wasn't defending himself. He knocked the fuck out.

21. Eh, going to hang with the Giants till they're down 20 then check out how off the rails Under the Dome's gotten...I'm trying to stay Raw-less til Ambrose is back at the earliest

22. Punching a woman in the face twice and knocking her out cold is not self defense.

23. But...but...Jerry Springer, man. Jerry Springer!

24. Official Ratings Prediction Thread

So, carrying over from yesterday's thread, Raw is going to get obliterated tonight by football. So what do you think the final rating will be? We're looking for three digits here, everyone.

I'll kick it off by saying 2.32. Because I'm feeling particularly outlandish.

25. Christ, forgot that was tonight, maybe I'll piss on my TV to make sure I don't flip over to it by mistake

26. In other words, it wasn't about punishing Rice, it was about the NFL saving face.

27. Which the victim forgave. What other person's business is it?

28. Eh, NFL office is a bunch of jagoffs. IF they could have gotten away with it before they would have, but the sheep of the world needed the video.

29. You cannot possibly be this dense...

30. Leading into RAW, it's Random Little Cared Sports Threadjack time!

- http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2014/09/03/jurgen-klinsmanns-2018-fifa-world-cup-goal-is-to-get-team-usa-to-the-semifinals/

Quite the optimist, Jurgen is.

- Euro 2016 qualifiers are underway, Spain and Russia look great against the minnows, England looks good against Switzerland, and San Marino, Luxembourg, and Liechtenstein are relevant. At least as practice for the real teams. Oh, and there's Gibraltar: http://deadspin.com/gibraltar-xis-occupations-today-against-poland-pic-t-1631687717

- Anyone give a shit about the PGA "playoffs"? No? Good, neither do I. Majors, Ryder Cup, or fuck off.

- Anyone give a shit about the NASCAR "playoffs"? No? Good.

31. Don't athletes generally make more in one game than most people make in a lifetime?

I'm sure his family will be just fine.

32. What's the actual number been hovering at? 3-ish? I doubt it dips much below 2.7 as I don't really trust the Neilsen accuracy

33. Why doesn't the WWE just drive the DX tank to the MNF game? Hey, it worked before.

34. Ndamukong Suk might stomp X-Pac's face into the ground?

35. I wrote about why I can't bring myself to care about England in the multi sport thread over on the forum. I can't be bothered to type it all out again, but it's there if you want to read it.

36. Chris Berman isn't doing either of the games is he?

37. They could send Brock and Heyman to go all Bane in Dark Knight Rises.

38. Always thought it would have been funny if Eric called their bluff and let them in. DX awkwardly talking in the back with their friends, people grumbling but not really doing anything, corporate types nervously looking on from the shadows

39. there was no reason NOT to let them in. Bischoff messed up on that one.

40. Not sure, Gruden's team's on the first game so he can verbally blow every QB he sees

41. I'm staying even later.

42. He went WAY beyond self-defense and you know it. Seriously, you can't justify attacking someone after they've been neutralized.

43. I didn't really watch last week, and my grandmother in law is staying with us for a couple of days so won't likely watch this week either.
    If the Bella thing keeps up then I may just return to hiatus. There is no excuse for Bellas.

44. That would end the NFL!

45. If I hit Princess in the face, she has the justifiable right to send me to the slammer for a very long time.

If she chooses not to, what right do you, a person unaffected by my actions, have to punish me?

46. Back back back back back back back back back back back..... Gone!
    Oh wait, the HR Derby is over.

47. The NFL *is* affected by his actions. They are his employer. They have every right to shitcan him.

48. Devil's advocating? Or just ignoring the responsibility of those in the public eye to act the least bit humane to maintain their chosen one lifestyles?

49. How rough is it to follow the Live Thread tonight? My Ipad generally screws up like 4 times during it!

50. Fannnnnnnntastic coverage there

51. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 8, 2014 at 5:16 PM

I haven't watched Raw in two weeks. But there's no Yankees game on and I'm about three weeks away from killing cable totally. Might as well join in tonight.

52. And my original question: how does this help the NFL, or the victim?

53. Adam "Colorado" CurrySeptember 8, 2014 at 5:16 PM

He's doing the late game, thereby making it un-watchable.

54. Adam "Colorado" CurrySeptember 8, 2014 at 5:17 PM

The Nascar playoff system sucks.

55. FUCK YEAH!! MON NIGHT!!!! BoD!!! RAW!!! FUCKING JUNK FOOD SPECTACULAR FOR HOSS!!! WHICH MEANS THAT FOR DINNER, I'M HAVING...

...a salad.

and I mean romaine lettuce, fat free italian dressing, grape tomatoes, and just a bit of cheese.

Fuck.

#toofuckingfat

PS - I stop stop at DQ on my way home from work. Tell no one.

56. I'll never tell anybody.

57. You can still shake down Abeyance though correct?

58. Abey doesn't get shook down much, and will usually get at least one pass, cause I likes him.

#HossStraight

59. Ugh.

You see the GP yesterday?

60. The NFL is doing damage control. They pretty much had to fire the employee.

The victim? From the looks of it, she doesn't want help right now. Lead a horse to water and all that.

61. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 8, 2014 at 5:20 PM

I give you my word as a Spaniard.

62. Is Reigns/Orton the main event? I think I'd take a Bella interview over that......just playing

63. Frigging Coughlin is loyal to a fault. Have had the lousiest secondary for years but won't do a damn thing with their ancient secondary coach

64. Maybe it will lead to a decent match or at least some plot development. But probably not. My hopes of Randy turning face again are pretty meh.

65. Megatron with a 67 yard td. I'm going against him :*(

66. He might break the yardage record tonight

67. Pre-Show Discussion Topic

Gene Simmons made headlines by declaring that rock music is dead. But what songs/artists from today prove him wrong?

68. It's a tough fade.

69. The way the Giants D is set up....

70. Goddammit...it really irritates me that they replaced the music Steamboat used, particularly at WM3.

#CheapFuckers

#toomanyfuckinghashtags

71. Well first of all, I don't think Gene Simmons is the first one that should be making that comment.

72. Keystone cops, there will be a play or two tonight where they just stand and point at each other because they have no clue who should be where

73. If this show starts with AJ and a guy with a CM Punk mask walking into an elevator.....

74. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 8, 2014 at 5:23 PM

They should've made a deal for that song.

75. Of course there's no excusing his actions. But the only person directly affected by it wants to let it go. This isn't like Michael Vick abusing dogs that have no say in the matter.

His life should be in her hands. Nobody else's.

76. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 8, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Too bad Fandango and Summer broke up...

77. He may be a duechelord, but he has sold millions of rock albums, and he's right.

78. Sirius, right??

79. RAW is in Baltimore tonight. Does Sandow wear a Rice jersey?

80. #BecauseVinceFindsItFunny

81. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 8, 2014 at 5:25 PM

No, because investors would likely shit a brick. #publiccompany

82. If you're arrested, you usually get fired. A lot of places don't want anything to do with you. The rules should apply to him, too.

83. On the plus side, Giants are going to end up saving a lot of money on JPP

84. Meh, if the stock moved on storylines, the company would be worth zero Kelvin right now.

85. I have a Module (A short answer paper, a short quiz, a short blog entry, and a small paper) due tomorrow for one of my Health Care classes. I think I'm just going to do it all tomorrow after I get back from the gym at 7 am.

I'm just debating if I should just do it all tonight during RAW and be done with it.

86. Wow you're such a negative person.

87. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 8, 2014 at 5:28 PM

We're not talking about storylines. We're talking about a random incident that would legitimately piss people off. Notice again that they put the angry black faction on the back burner after Ferguson.

88. Get it done with. (recovering procrastination junky)

89. No he's mizdow

90. Yeah. And the Hassad Angle died quick too.

91. Wow, this was such a negative post.

92. And those two are instances where the angle began or was filmed ahead of time. This? They wouldn't dare.

93. Dude toured with def leopard this summer. No wonder he thinks that.

94. Wow, this was such a negative reply to his negative post.

95. Way to be negative nancy.

96. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 8, 2014 at 5:32 PM

After the London bombing? It kinda did.

97. Alex Riley is a baller.

98. Is anyone getting Destiny? I ended up with a copy and am...poor at maintaining online relationships but am kinda curious to check this thing out.

99. Wow you're such a waste of oxygen. One step forward, ten steps back.

100. Raw: Don't care, there's football and Nats vs Braves.
    (I'll still watch and complain about it anyway.)

101. Yup. 360. Won't get on till tomorrow evening.

102. Cousins played the beta, they liked but weren't wowed, ending up cancelling their pre-order

103. Fuck no. Generic FPS 905390532 holds no interest for me.

104. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 8, 2014 at 5:33 PM

3/4 of my staff are all about picking that up tomorrow. Unfortunately, it's primary night in New York and they all have to work. Pobrecitos.

105. Speaking of wasting oxygen! Hello kbjsone!

106. So according to last night's Total Divas and the preview video they showed for the new season: Rosa Mendes is a nudist, Eva Marie wants her husband to change religions for a day to get married in a Catholic church, Natalya vs. Summer Rae Part II: Freeway Boogaloo, Nikki probably looked like a heroin junkie when Cena found her egg freezing drugs, the Funkadactyls want to break up for some odd reason, Brie watched something get inserted into her sisters muff and kept staring, Daniel Bryan and Brie have become poor and Nikki wants them to borrow money from her and Cena...

107. Aren't you the guy that defended Ray Rice?

108. AWESOME coverage

109. What little inside knowledge of that show tells me that I guess there was a HUGE fucking blow up between the EP of that show and the folks at WWE to the point where they barely talk now.

110. Betting Johnson gets more catches than Giants first downs tonight

111. I just want to see Fandango run the D.E.N.N.I.S. System on someone already.

112. No. Ray Rice should go to jail if his wife wishes him to.

If anything, I am defending his wife.

113. What is worse:

Princess' thoughts on domestic violence or the Giants secondary?

114. You know, the last time Jerry was on Raw, didn't they say one of the twins was male? Please don't revisit that.

115. It would end the fall season Monday Night Wars. Victory would be theirs! Long live WWE.

116. davidbonzaisaldanamontgomerySeptember 8, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Mike Ditka focused right on Rice "destroying his earning power".

VINTAGE DITKA

117. Giants secondary, even a battered woman might hit back now and then

118. Ditka is an awesome heel

119. Any man who has TWO Billy Joes playing quarterback is no good.

120. Too busy with Resident Evil 4, Final Fantasy X, and the Mega Man games.

121. Positive about Rosa Mendes: she'll do anything for the business.

Negative: she's a bad wrestler by WWE standards.

122. Damn memory, Tolliver and???

123. Tolliver and Hobert.

/very sad Who Dat after yesterday

124. I'm watching the game on my fiancee's laptop. What a country!

125. Adam "Colorado" CurrySeptember 8, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Yep. Rosberg had it until he missed that first chicane.

126. I was thinking, "Oh, is he gonna take hell for that one," when I heard him say it.

127. Last week - it can't be as bad as last week! This week - it CAN'T be as bad as last week...?

128. When he got fired, they made him do a perp walk out. Who Dat Who Dat

129. Orton/Reigns and Jericho/Wyatt ought to at least be good, long matches. That's a step up. And hopefully the Bella garbage will be one segment.

130. Well, eventually we'll be correct,

131. Yeah I'm on Nino Kuni and Madden still so that's another concern that i'll get into it after everyone else is like level 4003

132. Did anyone watch 'Utopia' last night? I just caught the scene of the redneck and the black dude having an argument. Who could have seen that coming?

133. I just figured FOX already cancelled it.

134. intestinal fortitudeSeptember 8, 2014 at 5:43 PM

The Giants secondary is doing more to boost the Raw ratings tonight than the writing staff ever could

135. We will just work under that assumption

136. Is the game on already? Why the early kickoff?

137. Black Keys, Bob Mould (middle aged, but rocking hard), Arcade Fire

138. I kinda feel bad for OC McAdoo. This whole team's going down in flames

139. Presumably, the black guy was dancing, and the redneck had a slop bucket.

140. Opening monday double header

141. Adam "Colorado" CurrySeptember 8, 2014 at 5:46 PM

There's 2 games tonight, other one starts at 10:30.

142. WWE is producing this? Now it all makes sense.

143. intestinal fortitudeSeptember 8, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Doubleheader tonight for the 1st week - 7 and 10:15

144. Nah. I'm just applying WWE canon to the rest of TV. Because why not?

145. I said this the last time it came up, he was probably unaware it was even happening. At the time I heard that the "invasion" was very small and brief

146. what's the second game? Chargers and someone right? Don't see myself staying up past 11

147. I know but if I told you they did, you would totally believe it.

148. Chargers and ARizona, and I need Fitzy and Palmer to get me some POINTS

149. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/culture-of-blaming-the-victim-is-root-cause-of-failure-for-nfl--ravens-in-ray-rice-case-220237076.html

You're incredibly stupid

150. I'll pass on this one.

151. The black dust stuff they have in modern artificial turf fields always freaks me out.

152. I'm here. Second row. Look for Whoopi Goldberg's head and an extremely confused stepsister. Dude to my left won't shut up, is throwing a rubber chicken around sexually harrasing Layla

153. agreed. And I'm not even watching the game.

154. #dirtysouthraised

155. The Texans turf has already claimed the career of their 1st round pick.

156. Career? He hasn't even been ruled out for the season. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

157. Would anyone be really offended if Ray Rice guest hosted Raw? And are we pretending the Michael Sam stuff never happened?

158. Yeah. Good result for the championship though, Hamilton probably would have started to crumble pscycologically if he hadn't got a win this weekend. Also, Ricciardo on Vettel might have been the pass of the season.

159. Only if he smacks another bitch. And even then, it depends on which bitch.

160. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarSeptember 8, 2014 at 5:51 PM

There is zero upside to something like that.

161. He never could stay healthy. they saying 6 weeks but they will pressure him to be back in 3 which will just make it worse

162. He needs to give us HIS side of the story! That's what Michael Cole said, anyway.

163. Ray Rice should have just Jay Z'd that shit and just took it.

He'd be a hero in the media.

164. Biff Kensington IIISeptember 8, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Oh, God... that soul-crushing realization that, for the sake of writing somewhere, you will agree to anything, INCLUDING reviewing Raw... Oh, God, what have I done?

Shameless self-promotion: Preview article for tonight in the forums, would appreciate feedback. Thank you so much to all who have already critiqued!

165. Hoss approves.

Or says it sucks.

Pick one. I ain't reading it.

:-)

166. Jerry Springer and the Bellas having a dedicated segment says otherwise.

167. Super Cereal

168. Steph comes out, goes on a 10 minute rant about the NFL and beating women that bores the audience to tears.

And then the Dudleys put her through a table. #Bookingisfun

169. They'd have to move a dump truck full of money to my front door to get me to review Raw.

And I say that as someone who's paid to review Bachelor In Paradise.

170. Adam "Colorado" CurrySeptember 8, 2014 at 5:53 PM

Ricciardo is my early pick for the 2015 champ.

171. Or she'll compare the persecution of Ray Rice to 9/11.

172. :: starts looking around for a dumptruck and an assload of pennies ::

173. Steph somehow implies Daniel Bryan beats up Brie, because they haven't done enough to make him look like a loser or a jerk in his absence.

174. Wasn't really what I was asking but I feel ya

175. It might be a bit early to say career, but turf still mostly sucks. They should probably try and restrict it unless it's somewhere where grass just can't be maintained like Buffalo or New England.

176. Oh, god. Please. PLEASE. PLEASE LET THIS HAPPEN.

If it does, i will never eat ice cream again.

#BargainingWithTheAlmighty

177. What's worse is, they probably got this idea two hours ago and are still rewriting the show, as we speak.

178. Very good stuff.

179. Or that it was not Ray Rice in the video, but actually Brie Bella. #GrowingUpBella

180. Also, there are forums here?

181. Yeah, but the Bachelor shows aren't 3 hours with an overrun.