No Cena = ratings?

Raw ratings went up this week, and Cena was not on the show.  Instead they focused on Orton/Rollins, Ambrose/Wyatt, and god help me, the two midcard titles.  The match quality and pacing seemed better.  Is there something to keeping Cena and his stale act off the occasional episode?

Sent from my iPhone

Nope.  Clearly what happened was that people were expecting Cena to show up and kept tuning in while waiting for whatever wacky exploits he would get up to next.  Plus the show was heavily advertised around him picking his team, if you're looking for legitimate and not just snarky made up reasons.

Comments

1. I saw the person who wrote this email and I too Scott get emails from someone named Sent from my iPhone.

Also Cena should sell a beating and go away for 6 months.

2. The only thing that rating proves is that Vince McMahon = RATINGS

3. Maybe the reason this weeks show went up in ratings is because last week's show was also a decent outing.

4. Cena needs to be louder, angrier and have access to a time machine. Also, when Cena is not featured, all of the other sports entertainers should be asking, "Where's Cena?"

5. Unless the advertisements told people that Cena wouldn't be on the episode then him not being there couldn't have drawn extra people to it.

6. CruelConnectionNumber2November 5, 2014 at 12:22 PM

FERNANDO getting a singles match was clearly the ratings spike.

7. Ratings were up from a terrible week last week. Viewers still dropped for the third hour (4.2M to 3.88M). MNF had six million fewer viewers this week than last according to Zap2it, and Raw only grabbed a few hundred thousand of those people. Raw gave away a PPV match (and face turn) with less than three hours' notice and had Vince show up for the first time in a year (or longer?); Vince isn't an auto draw like he used to be, but I imagine a fair amount of people decided to check out the show if Vince mentions appeared on their Twitter feed.

Ratings didn't tank without Cena, but come on.

8. Imagine what WWE could do if they actually advertised Raw ahead of time. Like set up matches for the following week, then build that match (or god forbid matches) up throughout the week.

9. This would also apply to Kevin Nash, as Scott can well attest.

10. Has Cena ever been a huge ratings draw? It's hard to tell, because the ratings have been largely the same for years, and he's been on top for a decade now.

11. Analyzing week-to-week ratings variation is asinine.

12. "Yep Mode" Abeyance Brown ©November 5, 2014 at 12:41 PM

He still has it!

13. Adam "Colorado" CurryNovember 5, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Talking about ratings at all in 2014 is asinine.

14. That seems to be this week's e-mail theme.

15. Russov SMASH!!!

16. Clearly Zach Ryder = ratings

17. I think it's hard to tell with ratings because they've not really changed outside of normal weekly fluctuations for quite some time now.

Buyrates, though, show that Cena's presence matters.

18. How else are we to argue over who's a draw? Network subscriptions?

19. I would say he was a big draw during 06-07 as most of the main eventers were out of action during that period due to injuries or whatever and Cena carried the company on his back during that time.

20. Can someone explain this to me. Why did Kevin Nash end up being Poochie?

21. Maybe we could just not do that nearly as much as we do, would be my preference. There's almost no general wrestling topic I find less interesting, personally.

22. Gunther the Nasty LoserNovember 5, 2014 at 1:05 PM

The show felt better without him. I'm not saying he needs to be gone all the time, but breaks here and there would do wonders

23. I was being sarcastic

24. Gunther the Nasty LoserNovember 5, 2014 at 1:05 PM

People might crap on TNA, but they do do (huh huh, doo doo) a good job of producing serial TV

25. Virgil's Gimmick TableNovember 5, 2014 at 1:08 PM

I have a feeling that in 10 years, we're gonna hear a lot of stories about how Cena was a ruthless politician who refused to put guys over and was self absorbed. Everyone blames bad booking, but Cena has more than enough stroke to put guys over without hurting his own reputation. Almost every time he has put someone over, he immediately makes them look like a fool to get his heat back. I wouldn't even mind Cena being on top if other people were allowed to get over too. But they aren't. Like I've said before. People get over despite the system now, not because of it. And it's overwhelmingly clear that the system is "John Cena Wins Everything".

26. Virgil's Gimmick TableNovember 5, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Because he wrote the show for a while. And the whole time, that's how he wrote himself.

27. Gunther the Nasty LoserNovember 5, 2014 at 1:14 PM

We've already started hearing those stories

28. "It looks like Cena's got something to say. Do you, Cena?"

29. Theberzerker! HUSS!November 5, 2014 at 1:18 PM

I still like him personally, but I've always said he goes along with how he's a booked pretty damn willingly...he definitely deserves some of the blame for that.

30. Watching Frasier. I wonder if he ever figured out what to do with all those tossed salads.

31. Theberzerker! HUSS!November 5, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Especially with scrambled eggs all over his face.

32. Extant1979 - Mr. Cable AccessNovember 5, 2014 at 1:28 PM

If they keep it up, it could mean an increase next week, too!

33. Goldeneye says Hello.

34. One thing I've learned from being a podcast addict, every single wrestler in history HATES the elimination chamber.

35. I'm thinking more along the lines of the NCAA's imminent collapse, once a few athletic departments decide they don't need the bullshit from Indianapolis. I'd be surprised if the NCAA isn't "replaced" by 2020, even if only in college football.

36. Virgil's Gimmick TableNovember 5, 2014 at 1:38 PM

I've heard what Kenny Dykstra said. But I never really took it seriously until Edge and Jericho told that story about the DDT on the concrete at SummerSlam. He seems very self absorbed from a lot of stories.

37. Now you're going REALLY back...

38. Not just the best game based on a movie but also...the best game.

39. Extant1979 - Mr. Cable AccessNovember 5, 2014 at 1:39 PM

The awesome thing about Goldeneye was the co-op multiplayer, which ostensibly had nothing to do with the movie. The FPS one-player missions based on the flick were OK at best, and not at all the draw of the game.

40. Their only value to the world is as fap material.

FACT (not really)

41. Extant1979 - Mr. Cable AccessNovember 5, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Yes I did.

42. Extant1979 - Mr. Cable AccessNovember 5, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Ambrose and Wyatt to fill out the last two spots?

43. Fuck slappers and throwing knives. Oh, and mines.

44. Gunther the Nasty LoserNovember 5, 2014 at 1:42 PM

So what did you get me?

45. Adam "Colorado" CurryNovember 5, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Not sure if I've ever played it. The AVGN did a vid on that game and he couldn't do it either, yet somehow did it with the U-Force on a later vid.

46. Extant1979 - Mr. Cable AccessNovember 5, 2014 at 1:43 PM

And anyone who used Oddjob!

47. You can call me a n00b, but I loved the one-player missions (but then, that's why I usually buy a game, not for multiplayer).

48. I hope they do as well.

I think you and your gf can find better things to do than conversation on this here wrestling site, yes. Just my opinion though. You guys do what makes you happy.

49. Don't worry, it's going away.....DOWN THE FAST LANE!

50. Bundles, yes. But it used to be standard that in your game system box, there would be:

System
    2 Controllers
    Game

... without needing a "bundle deal". NES had SMB1, SNES had SMW, Genesis had Sonic (Originally... Altered Beast, right? Or was it Golden Axe? Checking... Altered Beast it is.)

51. ... didn't he still fail it even then? The highlight of that second attempt was "FIRE!, FIRE!, FUCK!, SHIT!"... the kind of thing I would do now, but wouldn't have considered back then.

52. Aw, thanks guy.

53. Ziggler has a great take on it, basically saying that while everything hurts it also hurts in a way that means nothing to the audience. Like, getting thrown into the chains HURTS but if the chains were just a little looser they'd make a great clanging sound that would actually put over the level of pain being administered, as it is they just hurt really bad and the audience doesn't even care.

54. Extant1979 - Mr. Cable AccessNovember 5, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Oh, I remember, and I still wish things were the same as they were back in the day. But the Wii at least came standard with one game (Wii Sports) and I thought the Wii U started with a game, too, although I could be mistaken. Nintendo seems to be the only company sticking to the tradition.

55. Wii U was released in two "flavors":

One had a 32GB HD and came with Nintendo Land. The other came with only 8GB of HD and no game.

56. Also, the GameCube and N64 definitely did NOT come with games in their base models. Although the N64 I did get was packed with a guide to Super Mario 64... which I only rented a couple times.

Funny thing, I still have the guide today, with my other gaming books.

57. Adam "Colorado" CurryNovember 5, 2014 at 1:52 PM

No, he gets it to work.

58. Currently, GameStop is listing the 32GB Black Wii U, with Super Mario U and Super Luigi U, for $299.99.

59. I missed it but I have to ask ... Did Vince his strut?

60. Gunther the Nasty LoserNovember 5, 2014 at 1:53 PM

I know why WWE decided to add a Fast Lane PPV

Vince just heard this great song by this happenin' new group called the Eagles

61. Gunther the Nasty LoserNovember 5, 2014 at 1:54 PM

They promoted polyamory

"If you wanna be my lover, ya gotta get with my friends"

62. Actually....he probably just heard the Limp Bizkit cover, it's been 7+ years since they've performed at a wrestling show, time to bring that shit back.

63. Those salads and scrambled eggs are what keep Fraiser (and Niles) in Armani suits.

64. The thing that pissed me off the most about that game was the stick shift was active even if you played in Automatic mode. I damn near got my ass kicked in an arcade once for slapping away a little shit's hand that was messing with the stick.

65. The only salad Niles tossed was Daphne's.

66. I really think Cena's is more of a merchandise mover than a ratings needle mover (I really hated typing "needle mover"). WWE has done there best to make no one a true ratings mover. The best they can do now is have guys who keep the ratings from plummeting and that's about it.

67. I love that Cena now has a line of red and yellow merch. It's like WWE throwing it into people's faces that he's their new Hogan and he's never going away. And this time, there's no WCW to take him away.

68. Don't worry...

69. Niles was the one with eggs on his face.

70. Virgil's Gimmick TableNovember 5, 2014 at 2:11 PM

This is the darkest outcome possible.

71. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9usyk_nash-is-thunder-part-1_sport

And there's more...

72. TJ: Marcus Lattimore retires, before ever playing a down in the NFL.

73. I haven't paid much attention to ratings since the 90's, but it feels like they are relatively flat no matter what happens? Dips occur for big football games and the like, but does anyone really move the needle in any measurable way?

74. Worst_in_the_WorldNovember 5, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Yeah--- I'd chalk it up to there being not much to really give a shit about in WWE right now.

The big angle is #1 babyface Randy Orton vs #1 heel HHH? Yeah, ok, cool.

75. There is definitely an edict on speaking out against top stars.

Remember how great Austin was before he walked out? Then suddenly, he's a paranoid drunk who beats his wife all the time while refusing to work with anyone.

Or what about Bret and Shawn? Suddenly they became a guy whom believed his hype too much and a pill popping maniac who held everyone down.

Hulk Hogan? Yikes.

76. I guarantee you that the lesson they are taking away from it is McMahon(s) = ratings. Vince was back, Steph & Trips were all over the show. Plus they'll give some credit to Orton and his turn, meaning he is now #2 babyface behind Cena. Also Rollins is the top heel--so long as he remains an Authority lackey. Say goodbye to anyone else moving up the card til after the Rumble at the earliest (save for Rusev).

77. Right. I was impressed when I finally saw him use that a few years ago, in think in the match vs. Stan Hansen in Japan. That would be just fine for an 80s house show.

78. So I've got a job offer and it's pretty good, almost a 30% raise to what I'm making now, but I decided to push back on the salary a bit and see what I could get. They took FOREVER to respond and I've been sweating all day that I'd queered the deal.

Turns out nope. I'm not getting any more money, but did land a couple of small perks, and I took the job.

79. Congrats! I've been in that "Did I queer the deal?!" stage myself.

Do something nice for yourself to celebrate!

80. It sounds weird to say this about a show that won a ton of Emmys, but Frasier might be the most underrated great show in recent times. Aside from Seinfeld and vintage Simpsons, Frasier is the funniest show of the last 25 years.

81. Sigh...they're going to dredge up their Evolution background and WWE will re-write history by saying that the faction was the biggest thing in the history of this business, etc.

82. The blowout in the Monday Night Football game might've played a role. Sure, an NYC team was involved but New Yorkers don't give a damn about the Giants this season (for good cause).

83. Friday. The. 13th. Good fuckin' lord.

84. Worst_in_the_WorldNovember 5, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Congrats! So drinks for the blog on you tonight???

85. Pitfall 2 was my jam. I seem to remember either the game or system freezing up before my brother could beat it a few times, but then we got good enough to knock it out in one sitting with no trouble.

86. "You're getting fatter!"

87. Virgil's Gimmick TableNovember 5, 2014 at 2:35 PM

I think it's the fame and power getting to their heads.

88. Fuck those posts. The people that post that shit are always so tech-obsessed in real life. There was one comment on one of those where the person talked about her parents locking them out of the house from morning till night. Really? Guess my parents actually loved me, then. I highly doubt that's how it was for her or most people in the mid-80s.

89. Checking out Primetime Sam Roberts' new wrestling podcast, starts with a Howard Finkel intro so that's legit...

90. 100% guarantee you the wwe thinks its all Vince.

91. I always thought his best bet to make a career was doing a good wrestling show. I'll have to check it out. BTW I haven't even turned on Sirius in a month. I gotta check out the Ronnie B Friday shows though.

92. Well nobody is calling up their friends and saying, "You got to switch it to Raw!". That's for sure.

People read their Twitter feed?

93. Adam "Colorado" CurryNovember 5, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Wrong vid, he does it with the Power Glove: http://youtu.be/MYDuy7wM8Gk?t=8m30s

94. Sure! One of whatever Abeyance is having for everyone!

95. Check with me first because I'm the expert. I could have saved you from that Shawn vs taker to ambrose vs Rollins hitc comparison. Follow my lead bro, and you'll be a top smark. I like how you're thinking but you just need to tune it in a little more. You'll get there.

96. Virgil's Gimmick TableNovember 5, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Nice argument to the contrary.

97. Anyone who gets to the top of the wrestling food chain today has to be able to play the political game well. Thinking it's just hard work, dewin yur jerb, etc... is just being naive about THIS BUSINESS.

98. I think it will end up in the back of the bus.

99. I don't know about this one. Austin was viewed as a bit jumpy and "diva-ish" when he had walkout #2 or #3 and the Debra thing pretty much right at the time, not years later.

The "Bret believes his own hype" thing started pretty much right after Montreal because of the debating that went on about Bret's refusal to drop the strap.

And LOL...everyone knew Michaels was a pill popping super-politician while he was still an active wrestler.

Trust me, as a guy who was reading the sites at the time these three were in prominence, this was all widely discussed.

I suspect that if we were to hear all about big bad Cena we would've heard more at this point in time, but again time will tell.

100. Gunther the Nasty LoserNovember 5, 2014 at 3:06 PM

No no no, you're making the same amount. The new job just quoted you the pay in American dollars.

101. You're crazy! Football is WAY more important than the welfare of children!

102. Broadly speaking yes, but a bit a bit of a wider focus than what I'm doing now.

103. Gunther the Nasty LoserNovember 5, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Not necessarily an 80's thing, but I always found it amazing when I watched a movie on TV, and there was a disclaimer that says the movie was being formatted to fit *this* screen.

HOW THE HELL DID THEY KNOW WHAT SCREEN I WAS USING?! Nice of them to cater to me in particular, though!

104. Yeah I haven't listened to either in about a month, I think I'm just done with all three of the boys sadly.

105. Anyone who gets to the top of any industry whatesover is a politician.

Showing up on time and working hard will get you a steady paycheque (hopefully), but it won't get you to the top, anywhere.

106. Gunther the Nasty LoserNovember 5, 2014 at 3:23 PM

BWAHAHA

More fuckery to the UK:

WWE.com has posted a video, featuring Vince McMahon apologizing to the UK fans
    over the issue with the WWE Network launch in the ULK being delayed. The video is now inactive, but here is a transcript of what McMahon said…

“We appreciate your patience as we work through the details of the roll-out and potential partnerships.

On behalf of WWE, I want to personally apologize for the delayed launch of WWE Network here in the United Kingdom. There’s no one more important than each and every one of you in the WWE Universe, especially here in the United Kingdom where we shared so many great memories
    together.

I assure you that we are working day and night to launch WWE Network as quickly as possible and I promise that WWE Network will be well worth your wait.

Again, thank you for your understanding.”

107. The NCAA is laughably corrupt and completely counter intuitive to the goals of an academic institution.

108. That's exactly it. More often than not, the current rate is indicitive of the previous show (or previous few shows). Conversely, if an episode is bad, the ratings for the following week's show will probably be a little lower...

109. "I certainly dooo!"

*Vince McMahon voice* "LOLCENAWINS"

*slide whistle, followed by *screen graphic*

"Everyone jobbed to Cena before he went back to his home planet!"

110. Oh boy, Yosemite is baaaaad

111. HowmuchdoesthisguyweighNovember 5, 2014 at 3:26 PM

The guy blows through color schemes. I think the red and yellow thing is reading way to much in it

112. Gunther the Nasty LoserNovember 5, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Randy Orton RKO's a giraffe

113. I think in real life Niles preferred kelsey's salad

114. Bulldog's. Because he is also gay.

115. Well I think it's true that Vince = ratings and I don't think HHH & Steph hurt either, and Randy Orton to be fair is pretty interesting right now. As long as they keep Big Show out of the main event scene and eventually wake up on Cesaro, I'm happy

116. Yeah he kinda power walked and jumped around excitedly

117. No shit? I never knew that

118. The only truly bad season of that show is when they introduce Felicity Huffman as a love interest to Frasier.

119. I should have prefaced with "after they left".

The moment Austin walked out you heard all the stories of beatings and paranoia, the moment Bret left you heard his dirt.

But my point being is that there's an unwritten rule about trashing the top guy of the company. You won't hear a bad thing about Cena until he's left for one reason or another.

120. Cena made sure to bail during the NBA Finals, brother.

121. Jericho and Edge being in the position they're in, they don't care. Sucks to be a full timer.

122. although imo even that story doesn't paint Cena as a "ruthless backstage politician" in the same way like guys such as Hogan or the Kliq before him.

123. YankeesHoganTripleHFanNovember 5, 2014 at 3:47 PM

As a Giants fan let me just say...umm yeah pretty much.

124. Theberzerker! HUSS!November 5, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Anyone on top is going to want to stay there, and any wrestler who says they love the business wants to be known as one of the greatest of all time...I don't blame him for going along with what they make him do. I blame him for being too self-absorbed sometimes to know when it's hurting everything.

125. Sent from my iPhone
    Does this make anyone else think of that Rick Ross song? "I'm cooking dope on the IPhone.....something something something"

126. Got home from work. Flipped on the TV, saw raw deal was playing on encore. Well I guess I'll be occupied for 90 minutes!

127. "Just because we're fit doesn't mean we're not fat! We're just like those cows standing still. And what are cows known for?" *holds up cake that says 'shit' on top. Throws it at Arnold*

What a awful wife. I love how he just has her think he died in some horrific chemical explosion LOL

128. Also what a horrible plan for Arnold to just agree to so quickly. Wtf

129. MikeyMike, WitnessNovember 5, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Congrats!

130. MikeyMike, WitnessNovember 5, 2014 at 4:12 PM

It doesn't even look good. I understand why they initially did the chamber but it didn't need to keep being an annual thing for the next twelve years. I've said this before but outside of the first one there's never been a chamber where I have great memories about.

131. MikeyMike, WitnessNovember 5, 2014 at 4:13 PM

So Stephanie McMahon might be pregnant. Has this been mentioned earlier in the thread?

132. If it gets her off TV I'll gladly celebrate that news.

133. MikeyMike, WitnessNovember 5, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Hence the Authority stipulation.

134. Gunther the Nasty LoserNovember 5, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Why am I hearing about this from you and not from her directly?

135. He's just some geek that works at target that blew up online in the last week because of some 13 year olds.

136. They should have canned Coughlin at the end of last season. We

137. Gunther the Nasty LoserNovember 5, 2014 at 4:30 PM

138. The Monday Night Football game was a blowout involving one sub-.500 team.

139. Anti-diva amirite?

140. I have a feeling in ten years we're still going to be watching Orton/Cena do the same exact match, with Kane interfering.

141. I thought it was a one Time thing for the Hogan birthday, guess not

142. Was there a real reason for Cena not being there?

143. something invovling scrambled eggs?

144. MikeyMike, WitnessNovember 5, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Off at work on the West Coast?! I'm still at work and I'm East!!!

145. The call came from inside the house.....

146. Your all missing the REAL REASON ratings went up. VINCE "I HAVE THE BIGGEST SET OF GRAPEFRUITS IN THE WORLD SINCE I BEAT THE LEGAL SYSTEM IN THE 90'S" MCMAHON returned.

147. The RAW ratings are at the whim of the cosmos. Cena not being on probably had zero to do with the ratings. Did they advertise Cena not being on the show beforehand?

148. Time change bump too, people inside an hour earlier, an hour earlier into their night routines.

149. On the other hand, their breakup over Pictionary and Frasier's custom hand towels was a standout moment. How many shows did a reverse shark-jump after jumping the shark late in the run?

150. Yes, sadly. Because that song is awful.

151. He talks a good game as far as who deserves a break, etc. But his "I can't turn heel because the kids can't handle it" stuff is Bret Hart levels of delusional self-importance. I'm sure the millions he makes off those kids buying his shit means nothing to him!

152. Cena's still the top guy in the only game in town, anyone he wants to work again won't trash him.

153. Jericho seems to like Cena, they're drinking buddies and seem friendly in his newest book.

154. Both Bret and Austin left on bad terms though, I'm sure their flaws would have kept secret if they hadn't. Everyone knew Shawn was a pill head dick but the company didn't acknowledge it until it was part of his redemption story they could make money on.

155. It may explain who's behind Super-Cena though. That was a Super-Cena moment.

156. "If I turn heel kids will die" is the new "if I lose in Canada the country will crumble".

157. Yeah, he's certainly not Dykstra, who could be telling the truth but who knows due to personal reasons.

158. Virgil's Gimmick TableNovember 5, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Maybe not as bad, but still pretty devious. You have to remember, wrestling was a lot more cutthroat in those days than it is now.

159. Virgil's Gimmick TableNovember 5, 2014 at 7:50 PM

I don't disagree. But as a fan, it makes for kind of a shitty time when one guy politicks his way to the top and no one is allowed to be as over as that guy.

160. Was Custer's Revenge the have sex with indian women game?

161. Michaels had that rep even before he left. For sure he did. We used to talk about it all the time back in the day. =)

Also, I disagree with this sentiment about the top guy - HHH never left at all and there were tons of people who trashed him whenever they had a chance.

162. We're not talking about the company acknowledging it though are we? I thought we were talking about other wrestlers outside of things talking about it. If this was about company acknowledging stuff then yeah, sure, but I thought this was about "you never hear anything bad about Cena from ex-employees".

163. Dykstra might be right too - there's a world of difference between the situations he describes with Cena and the routine booking of matches. If you get personal with someone that's a completely different ball game than a professional one.

164. It's a joke. You know, for shits and giggles and all that jazz.

165. I guess there's a thin line between smark conspiracy theories and humor, especially on this board.

166. HowmuchdoesthisguyweighNovember 5, 2014 at 10:28 PM

I can handle a joke with the best of them. Honestly couldn't tell you were making a joke.

167. Dykstra claimed that Cena was cheating on his wife with Mickie James, Victoria and others right?

168. Big Poochie. Classic.

169. Yeah, that's what I remember him saying as well.

170. Not a fan. But then, I'm not a Seinfeld guy either.

171. That's how wrestling has always worked, except (arguably) for a very very brief time when Vince was forced to let people get organically over. And even then, Austin was incredibly protected.

172. I have never, ever understood why wrestling fans are so obsessed about numbers and who is "drawing."

It's like a music fan masturbating over CD sales. Who cares?

173. no sorry scott HHH announced during his promo with ziggler that Cena wasn't there that night in the first hour. So no if you were paying attention you knew he wasn't there

174. there have been blowouts on mnf and the rating didn't change