Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Tag Team Tournament First Round: Q-X

There’s a couple of here that are gonna be a slugfest, I bet.

1. I didn't think the Moondogs were champs in the Hulkamania era.

2. michaels/diesel v vanilla midgets; hart foundation v dx

touch calls on those match-ups

3. Otunga and McGillicutty are gonna go all the way.

starting this moment...from now...from this moment on...starting now... this'll be the moment.... of the Genesis of McGillitunga

4. DX over Hart Foundation is what's best for business, playa.

5. what's best for business is taking a few extra minutes and seeding teams better to prevent matchups of top teams in the 1st round while jobber teams and fly by night teams matchup.

6. On the other hand, that's the kind of shitty, short-sighted stuff that always happens with wrestling tournaments, so this is at least true to that.

7. Moondogs win because Memphis lol. Moondogs all the way.

8. People need to stop complaining about seeding. WCW's World title tournament lacked seeding and booked Bret-Goldberg in the first round!

Nasty Boys-Moondogs is one of those "classic or clusterfuck" things. I voted Nasty Boys because Jimmy Hart would give them the edge.

9. Shawn all the way in both scenarios.

10. I voted Michaels/Diesel over Jericho/Benoit, but voted for Hart Foundation over DX. People forget that DX team was OLD.

11. The Jarrett/Owen team could be a dark horse.

12. Just pretend they were the DX from 97-98

13. I can count all the good HBK/HHH tag matches on one hand, and I think they all involve Ted Dibiase Jr.

14. I hated PG DX. It was embarrassing (just like the crap they pulled at the Network announcement). Still don't know how "suck it" is PG, but you know, the rules don't apply to Triple H and his friends.

15. The version of DX in the tournament was the old one? Hell, I kind of like that Shawn and HHH better anyway.

16. Jimmy also managed the Moondogs.

17. Surely better than Nexus Otunga!

18. But whose side is he on?

19. I don't think the original run had a tag champ run. Just the WWF and European belts. I'd still like to invision they had the belts though.

20. Who betta than Kanyon?!

21. I know the matchup pairings were randomized, but were the teams as well?

Because these a lot of these teams are white hot shit.

22. I voted the nasty boys cus hulk would just use his stroke.

23. The Moondogs were mainly jobbers though, weren't they? The Nasties may have sucked the fat one, but they were legitimate Champions in multiple promotions.

24. Austin, the Rock, NAO, Godfather, The Oddities (!!!), Too Cool (2000 Rumble, Dallas 10-Man come to mind). The pops they would get are insane compared to now.

25. This tournament is a Teddy Long wet dream.

26. Smackdown was the reason Russo left, isn't it? He complained about the extra workload's effect on his family and father-of-the-year Vinny Mac said he could just hire a nanny or something like that.

27. I remember when Taker and Paul performed the sacrifice on Mideon where they did some crazy shit like make him drink blood or something. The crowd chanted bullshit and didn't recieve it well. It got better when they just became a stable and toned down the satanic shit. Still the higher power stuff and the Corporation teaming up with the Ministry made no sense at all. Plus I think everyone was tired of Taker and Austin feuding by then.

28. Holla! Holla!

29. I think he was let go a few years ago. And his wife left him for Shannon Moore.

30. The television ratings in America are voluntary and determined by the networks. If USA thinks "Suck it" is PG, that's the way it is.

31. But is anyone going one-on-one with the Undatakahhhhhh?

32. It's hard to vote against the Shawn Michaels who knows what controversy is, though. He just kicked Stan!

33. MikeyMike, JuggernautDecember 31, 2014 at 6:19 AM

Funny how Vince wouldn't hire extra writers. Today they have an entire cabinet of "Creative" members.

34. Jim Ross just did a feature on him for Fox Sports: http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/wwe-s-darren-drozdov-thrives-15-years-after-being-paralyzed-during-match-121614

Droz has nothing but good things to say about WWE. By the way, good for JR for landing that gig.

35. HowmuchdoesthisguyweighDecember 31, 2014 at 6:26 AM

Don't remember Cena and batista being tag champs at all. Weird.

36. Probably happened when they feuded.

37. He doesn't work for WWE anymore, but they still take care of him. From his recent interview with JR:

The McMahons came through for me and I remember my Dad saying after the surgeries that 'Thank God that you worked for WWE,' " Droz said. "The WWE is still supportive."

38. The round of 64 is starting to look good. Think I'll book that flight to Rio to catch this tournament live after all.

39. Fun fact: You have AIDS.

40. He was never gonna top Robo-Shamrock.

41. The US Express hardly even warrant footnote status as far as great WWF teams go.

42. The timing of the shows in 99 was getting REALLY sloppy as the year went on. Clearly everyone on the production side was increasingly burned out and it wasn't until 2000 when they started to slow things down again and fix those issues.

43. You're going to be very disappointed then.

44. The one thing I still like a lot about the Russo era is everyone was involved in a storyline or stable. No one felt like a random midcard jobber.

45. I had absolutely no idea batista and cena were tag champs. I knew cena and otunga and hbk. But not batista. Who did they win and lose to?

46. Beat me to it.

47. I think it depends on what your actually sucking. Did they ever outright say it was ahem.... a penis? I mean I know the crotch chop somewhat alludes to it. Maybe they were working us and they were talking about pacifiers and that we're babies or something.

48. "That's why "Russo's shows" drew. He was part of a team, one that also included a young and in-touch Shane, that was able to filter the country's interests into a wrestling format."

Yes! Little things like Marilyn Manson being used as the RAW theme song when that was really cool (I'm not a Manson fan, mind...) made a big difference and I think in that case are down to Shane.

Whereas today, kids are really into music like Skrillex (so of course we still get this Kid Rock shit all the time), superheroes (the closest we have is Stardust and Goldust), and are increasingly more concerned with commenting on Tumblr about whether they are pan-sexual or bi-cif-sexual-positive or whatever.

Russo's stories involving women might have been immature in the sense of so often going to extremes such as inferred rape; but at least it wasn't this arguably more offensive "Women and men like each other; but women also all want to lez it up together" simplification that exists today.

49. Shut up Meekin.

50. The introduction soon of Angle, Jericho, Malenko and Eddie certainly helped the transition.

51. Won: August 4 2008 over Legacy (DiBiase and Rhodes). 36 days earlier, DiBiase had turned on Hardcore Holly to join Rhodes and win the titles.
    Lost: August 11 2008 to Legacy (same two)

52. Do you guys get around to asking him if GFW is really a thing that will put on wrestling shows?

53. D-X want you to buy their merchandise and in so doing, suck on the corporate teat of capitalism.

54. I have never heard of the moondogs.

55. This was Batista's third tag title run (Previous two were with Flair), and Cena's second reign (previously with Michaels).

56. Moondogs were legitimate contenders and champs in the late 70s/early 80s, mainly under Vince Sr.

57. Yeah when I read "nexus" I thought "that should be good" then I finished reading.

58. ... and now you know... the rest of the story.

59. So they had dibiase and rhodes feud with hbk, hhh, cena, and batista and they didnt become main eventers? Hmmmm

60. My prediction for McMahon's autobiography is that Russo gets no mention at all other than a throwaway reference to "upheavals in creative in 1999" or something.

61. The brass ring was right there, but those darn millennials were too damn lazy!

62. I hear Jeff Jarrett was working as a triple agent

63. Im surprised they dont make a network special about how they still take care of Droz. I didnt think it was possible for them to do something kind and not pat themselves on the back.

64. British Bulldogs all the way, baby!

65. There wasn't a lot else that WWE could have done to get Rhode/Dibiase over during that time frame.

66. Stardust and the DiBiase Posse was a license to print money.

67. Did they ever have a tag team finisher? A flatliner / Diamond Cutter combo would wreck even the mightiest of teams.

68. Damn it Bayless! how am I supposed to kill time at work without a daily thread? Slacker!!!

:-P

69. Right there with ya, buddy!

Bayless -- get your shit together!

70. This. Today when they make something like Rusev vs Ziggler - do we really care? Back then, when they made Bossman vs Roaddog or so, the match was bad BUT the match had a background because the DX was feuding with the Corporation. Back then, nobody cared about 50:50 booking - today everything is the same, because nobody has a real story or feud. They have just random matches and nothing really changes. Why should I care about anyone today?

71. Couldn't agree more. The roster was so small (because WCW had roughly 873 guys under contract) that they had to find something at least somewhat interesting for everyone to do.

72. It allowed Mideon to hang around until he found his real calling as Naked Mideon.

73. Extant1979 - Mr. Cable AccessDecember 31, 2014 at 7:58 AM

Best potential match of this group? Bulldogs-MNM?
    Discuss.

74. It's a good point. WWE is completely culturally irrelevant in 2014. WWF in 1999 fit totally with the nu-metal scene, South Park, Eminem, that entire youth culture.

75. YankeesHoganTripleHFanDecember 31, 2014 at 8:00 AM

I think it's actually happening in the same state that Bret the Hitman Hart has his legendary battle with the Shrieking Sheik.

76. If I don't get daily thread soon, I'll post here again!

77. YankeesHoganTripleHFanDecember 31, 2014 at 8:02 AM

Was there anybody Shawn Michaels wasn't a tag team champion with? Thinks....Marty Janetty.

78. Dude is like, still alive, right?

79. Well, he did a lot of things, but as far as I remember, at least the top face won the title at Wrestlemania, during his booking time. And maybe The Rock would have won the Rumble and the title in a single match at Wrestlemania 2000 against HHH.

80. Technically, he was, but it was a phantom title reign; meaning it never aired on TV and therefore never happened. Right?

81. You are correct sah!! HAWHAWHAWHAW

82. Well, the Ministry was already there, so maybe just DX against them. HHH vs heel Taker might have made Hunter a legit main event face before the heel turn

83. YankeesHoganTripleHFanDecember 31, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Right

84. Moondogs vs. Nasty Boys

85. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

86. I thought MNM was one of the last really cool tag teams. But come on...got to vote bulldogs.

87. Extant1979 - Mr. Cable AccessDecember 31, 2014 at 8:12 AM

I know Bayless would vote for Andre/Haku vs. Garea and Martel.

88. Anyone that is still alive?

89. Extant1979 - Mr. Cable AccessDecember 31, 2014 at 8:12 AM

I think he was stuck in traffic...

90. "Who?" - Abeyance

91. Extant1979 - Mr. Cable AccessDecember 31, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Yup

92. Kinda figured today would be a light traffic day, in terms of commuting.

93. The Nasty Boys were the first wrestlers that I ever had "X-Pac heat" with.

I just wanted them off of my TV.

94. Kane approves of that as it is the market dictating the value of good without interference from the state.

95. Extant1979 - Mr. Cable AccessDecember 31, 2014 at 8:15 AM

I thought I saw that earlier on FB, but now I don't see it anymore. I might have just made that up.

96. It's ok, soft serve doesn't really count.

97. Kinda figured today would be a heavy traffic day, in terms of making stuff up.

98. What's best for business is realizing that there is nothing at stake here and it really doesn't matter.

99. How did taz and spike make it to round 2?

100. I can empathize with this statement.

101. I always loved em.

102. Winning/losing said title several times inbetween Rumble and Mania, though.

103. Is it safe to declare David Otunga the new JTG as far as inexplicable career longevity?

104. Yeah, that's why he nearly joined D-X back in 98 or 99 or whenever it was. But then X-Pac and Road Dogg lit up joints and they all got into an argument over taxation, and that was the end of it.

105. Heart and scrappiness?

106. I can see why Rock vs HHH wasn't a singles match at WM 2000 because they already fought a million times so making it a four way and Foley's "last match" wasn't a bad idea. I even get letting HHH win. It was shocking at the time and put more heat on the Backlash one on one match.

107. NM. This is still round 1.

108. Cena and Otunga lost to the Quebecera 948 to 57.

109. And I can only think that 56 of those were joke votes and the other was VJ.

110. If they had female performers who could pull it off, they could have really built on an unprecedented female demo during the Attitude Era. Get the high school girls talking about the show too. But they didnt have anyone who could wrestle and talk.

111. I'm aware. I just realized he's still employed though.

112. For the record, this show was taped in New Haven, not Hartford, at the old New Haven Coliseum that was demolished several years ago. WWE runs Bridgeport now instead when they come to Southern Connecticut.

113. I think you've been eating the wrong soft serve. DQ soft serve is generally awesome, though some locations are better than others.

114. One of those is Abeyance not knowing who the Quebecers are.

115. I've never been to DQ. But soft serve is too airy and, in my experience anyhow, not made in fruit flavours.

116. It did for the purposes of this tournament.

117. No Abeyance voted for each team in every bracket once each since he is incapable of having an opinion on anything.

118. Fruit?

The fuck is wrong with you?

No health food in ice cream.

#HEALTHFOOD

119. Just sitting around.

120. and never been to a DQ? How...how is this possible?

oh, right. You're not in 'murica.

Loser.

121. Edge is as tall as any 2 of the other 3 guys in the match standing on each others shoulders.

122. The Memphis Moondogs vs. WWE Moondogs is like Memphis Sheepherders vs. WWE Bushwhackers -- night and day. The Moondogs were quality, vicious heels once upon a time.
    Also, L Scisco: Jimmy Hart managed the Moondogs in Memphis, so you can have dueling megaphones if you like.

123. I've got one like 5 minutes from my house.

124. My brother went to the Raw before this show. During Undertaker's entrance, his friend poured a slushy on the annoying couple in front of him who kept trying to tell them to quiet down...at a fucking Wrestling show.

125. Fruit ice cream is the best.

#MANGO
    #STRAWBERRY

I've also wanted to try broccoli and asparagus since I was a little kid. I think that those would be jam up ice cream flavours.

126. As bad and goofy as Edge's promo was, he at least demonstrated charisma and a flair for the crowd.

127. The evil version of No Chance that came out of this was awesome, at least.

128. Only when it comes to wrestlers. Otherwise I am down with my fun sized brothers.

129. I think the addition of SmackDown helped things out on that front. Instead of having to cram a billion storylines into one show they could stretch things out over two.

130. Or talented. Or charismatic. Or likeable.

131. Shamrock destroying all 3 of the Brood in an effort to find Stephanie was one of the highlights of the year, especially him no-selling the bloodbath.

132. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxifl5TM0G4&index=1&list=PLED2fOPlTuwc16M6PvaAhfUpX-R1U_VgL

More on the Moondogs as real threats.

133. I would love to read a review of the Nastys vs Moondogs. Wouldn't want to watch it but I could imagine a -5 star classic.

134. Call me crazy but I liked the Corporate Ministry, especially their badass entrance music.

135. I think in his case, it's more extracurriculars - married to Jennifer Hudson, Harvard Law degree, reality show background, tons of professional experience in different sectors. He makes a good spokesman and they probably utilize him in a lot of capacities. I'm pretty sure JTG's employment was just totally overlooked for a long, long time, like when WCW forgot to release Iron Sheik from his contract and had to pay him when it rolled over.

136. Benoit/Jericho vs HBK/Diesel can be *****

DX VS Hart Foundation would be a great match.

137. Cena & Batista as douchebag tag team would phenomenal.

138. Just watched/skimmed thru the Over the Edge 99 PPV a few hours ago actually. Owen death aside and wrestlers im sure in a down mood, the ppv is just such a mess. The angles are way to over the top, even for Attitude Era standards. The Austin/Taker main event was just a mess with an AWFULLY done and sloppy screwjob finish. ugh.

139. Jeff/Owen
    Bulldogs
    DDP/Kanyon
    Andre/Haku
    Rey/Edge
    Hart Foudation
    HBK/Diesel
    Nasty Boys

140. I just browsed through a random '99 episode of Shotgun from right before this. Test put over MIDIAN, for God's sake.

141. I love that Cody Rhodes was on the winning and losing end of the same title change when Legacy beat Holly and Rhodes.

142. PITTY CITY BABAY!!

143. Henry got a pretty good reaction. I think he and D'Lo broke up as a team way too soon. Neither man's career truly recovered. Well Henry's did but that was what 12 yrs later?

144. I think you should stick to these smackdown reviews for awhile. Your style mixed with the insanity of the attitude era made for a really fun rant!

145. I tend to agree. Those two would be perfect for the egotistical, "i'm better than you" sort of team that's always trying to one-up each other. Those types of teams usually have the best blow ups when they lose the belts, too.

146. That's sorely missing from a lot of today's WWE teams. I mean, Ascension has one...but who else uses a combo finisher in that pathetic excuses for a division? I mean, honestly, the time is ripe for a young, hot team like the Bucks or the Wolves to come in and declare themselves the kings of the shitpile the tag division has become.

147. Was thinking same thing. Jimmy Hart (w/that biker helmet of doom) gives the Nastys the slight edge they need to win an absolutely UGLY match.

148. I really kind of liked the Spike/Taz team. If WWE wouldn't have harped so fucking hard on how TINY both guys were, and would have instead put over the lethality of the Tazmission, or the vicious, nasty attitude of Taz (him being the "clean up" hitter of the team), these two might have gotten a bit more over than they did.

149. If I had to pick a moment that killed Shamrock I'd have to go with the King of the Ring job to Billy Gunn where they couldn't agree on what sort of injury he had, only that it caused internal bleeding. Awful match and angle.

150. With one trying to be better than the other they would retain the titles due their effort.

151. They should of never let Big Show into that match.

152. People today Are going to say what is a Val Venis

153. He should interview him on the Ross report

154. CruelConnectionNumber2December 31, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Everyone was all "Billy Gunn is definitely the next HBK" in 1998-99. As soon as he turned heel, talked like a goof, kept showing his thongs, and had shitty important matches, that changed in like 2 months. What a fall from grace. "THE BEST PURE ATHLETE IN THE ENTIRE WWF!" - Jim Ross, for 100 straight weeks.

155. CruelConnectionNumber2December 31, 2014 at 12:13 PM

They loved girls in cars.

156. CruelConnectionNumber2December 31, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Gotta disagree, they were the top babyface team for like a year and caught fire with the fans quickly. WWF got the belts on them in a hurry and they were the top team during WrestleMania. They're "iconic" (Harts, Demolition) but they're bigger than say, Andre & Haku. They're Brain Busters level.

157. The Hart Foundation is going to win it all. This blog has a hard-on for Bret Hart.

158. CruelConnectionNumber2December 31, 2014 at 12:18 PM

He never officially qualified.

159. Jesus. I didn't even mean to leave him off. I must have subconsciously self-censored.

160. CruelConnectionNumber2December 31, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Hogan and Edge teamed for like 4 weeks. Volkoff and Sheik walked out of Mania with the belts, teamed for several years, and were in a GOONIES MUSIC VIDEO.

161. CruelConnectionNumber2December 31, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Quebec Province Rules state that David Otunga must start the match due to alphabetical first name listing. He is quickly defeated in 0:57 with the Cannonball as Cena is distracted by Johnny Polo.

162. CruelConnectionNumber2December 31, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Rock & Sock have the most votes!

163. I think the Diesel/HBK pairing could give them a run for their money in the round of 32.

164. That'd be a pretty sweet match, though.

165. Moondogs had a blood feud with Garea & Martel in the 1970s. I only know that because Bill Apter profiled it for one of his mags one time as a flashback.

166. Hulk's stroke wasn't enough to get him out of the first round, BROTHER!

167. WWE put him in a feud with The Rock and THAT didn't get him over.

Of course, the "It' doesn't matter what your name is!" promo might have killed it...

168. It was a horrible decision and one of the key reasons nobody likes or remembers that show. Why use Mania to pump a buyrate for friggin' BACKLASH? Especially when the product was already so hot at the time. A rematch would have done fine. People wanted to see Rock win the big one, and the booking of him from Mania through KOTR was awful, and one of the key reasons some people I knew back then started losing interest by late 2000. They loved Rocky, but they didn't like that he lost so often and never could beat HHH.

169. I did too. It was, at the least, interesting, which is more than I can say for most of the card for the last decade or so.

170. So rig it and get the predictable tournament finals of everyone's 2 favorites who happen to be on opposite sides of bracketing?

171. Oh, definitely. Plus, when Austin was having great matches with HHH, Benoit, and Angle, he seemed to be genuinely motivated to show he could hang with those guys, following years of the main event style brawls.

172. That and the Rock shoving his face into that big woman's ass at Summerslam.

173. I did a tag tournament on a message board once. I had everyone nominate 10 teams for the tournament, and I seeded the teams based on how many nominations they got. When it came down to the final four, it was the top four seeded teams. Personally, I like the randomness of it.

174. Even scott predicted big things for gunn in an article he wrote at this time

175. i only vote for Colossal Connection...

176. Thanks for the link! I'll keep that and check it out later.
    A while ago, I was watching the Moondogs and Fabulous Ones beat each other bloody on YouTube. A highlight was when one of the Fabs got his neck stuck in the ropes (actually looked accidental), and one of the Moondogs immediately grabbed his legs and pretended to be yanking on them while actually holding him up.
    Another treat was a six-man with the Moondogs & Jimmy Hart vs. the extremely surreal face team of Rock & Roll Express and Bobby Eaton.

177. Better get ready for Neville's mighty mouse gimmick then!

178. Jesus. Don't remind me.

179. because he was hurt too much and was never that good