Saturday, January 10, 2015

IC Tournament Round One: Groups Q-X

No more percentages because people are obviously rigging the votes somehow.

Although much of this bracket is spectacular mismatches, there’s certainly one barnburner to be had with Savage-Angle. And how did we end up with "Dolph Ziggler" vs "Val Venis" as a match? Are we seeding by ridiculous names now?

1. See, I want my guys to win, but if they don't, it's just an online vote so who cares? I don't think I'd feel good knowing my guy only advanced through chicanery.

2. You shut up! #MountieForever

3. Is this random draw again? Because having Santino and Axel in one bracket and Savage and Angle in another is kinda bullshit.

4. Huh. Could end up with Savage vs. Triple H. If only there was something that they could feud over, say a persistent Internet rumour of some sort.

5. Kurt was IC champion for like a month, but Savage was IC champ for a year. Kind of a no-contest, actually... But would have been an amazing match with both guys in their prime.

6. By title length, Angle wasn't champion that long.

7. If HHH and Savage both end up in the Hall of Fame this year, that would be interesting.

8. By hat criteria, Jeff Jarrett and Randy Savage should advance.

9. Mountie just getting by the first round, then getting squashed in the next would be apropos.

10. Who is he pitted against?

11. Old embarrassing 2007 Flair.

12. C'mon Shelton you can do it! That dude beat a plethora of top stars while IC champ.

13. Mountie should easily take down that Flair guy, whoever he is.

14. What about hankey criteria?

Cause you know about the hankeys.

15. Yeah the fact you can vote infinity really takes away from the tournament and as much as I can understand the Mountie meme, I fucking hate memes.

16. Plethora would be a good name for a masked wrestler who has an expansive move-set.

"You'll never know how Plethora will beat ya, Maggle! He's got a PLETHORA of finishers!"

17. I'm surrah Sheltub but YUH GUBBA DUH!!!!

YUH GUBBA DUH!!!!
    YUH GUBBA DUH!!!
    YUH GUBBA DUH!!!!

18. Old embarassing 2005 Flair, thank you very much.

Flair would bleed, hit Mountie in the balls a bunch and win with the figure four.

19. Ahmed did not speak English and showed no interest in trying.

20. Next round Ahmed might face Umaga, which would be appropriate since "Umaga" sounds like how Ahmed would say "I'm going to."

UMAGA WUBBA JUB, INNA MONKEY FRUZZLE FROOP! YUH GUBBA DUH!

21. That's really racist.

22. Now you are making me paranoid that I used the word incorrectly and you're secretly mocking me.

23. It's not really racism if the dude literally can't speak well.

24. It's about as racist as the "Maggle" thing.

25. Nope, you're all good.

26. Well, you just told me that I had a plethora, and I would just like to know if you know what it means to have a plethora. I would not like to think that someone would tell someone else he has a plethora, and then find out that that person has no idea what it means to have a plethora.

27. Mohammed. Daniel can't force you to stay here. You can go back to Tunisia where online polls over best IC champ have integrity. You don't need this, man.

28. People caring about the integrity of these polls is so crazy. It's for entertainment. It means nothing. It's crazy to care.

29. Forgive me, El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior
    intellect and education. But could it be that once again, you are angry
    at something else, and are looking to take it out on me?

30. That's a tough draw for Jeff Jarrett. He was clearly the better Intercontinental Champion and doesn't stand a chance.

31. He needs to wrestle a masked wrestler named Vintage.

"VINTAGE Vintage."

32. Johnny Vintage, the most old-school grappler ever!

33. At least Marty is up against someone easy here. Remember people, a vote for Marty is a vote for Daniel Bryan v Brock at WM so make it count!

34. Jeff Hardy and Pat Pattetson face off in round 2.

35. It means something. It's about values. It's about being strong, handsome and brave. It's about always upholding the law. It's about always getting our man to the finals.

36. I disagree. While he couldn't have title defenses cause of his neck injury, the hell Austin raised between Summerslam '97 and Survivor Series '97 (all over the IC title) trumps Jarrrett's entire career.

37. Match ends in a draw when both guys go down on their knees at the same time.

38. Jeff Jarrett was boring. He didn't deserve any of those reigns in 1999 and basically got them over Owen Hart's dead body.

39. "HELLLOOOOO LADIESSSSSS...

So this is Cleveland, Ohio. Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Well, if you're looking for a real... 'Rock Ride,' just hop on the Big Valbowski and you can ROCK AROUND THE" "I'M HERE TO SHOW THE WORLD, I'M HERE TO SHOW THE WORLD COME ONNNNNNNNNNN BRING IT ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!"

"I LOVE IT, MAGGLE!"

40. That's gonna be one hell of a tombstone reversal spot.

41. Because there's no daily thread yet:

Pro Wrestling Syndicate debuted its new weekly show on a local channel here in NYC (WLNY) at 4:30-5:30 AM. It attracted 164k viewers.

That's only 99k less than TNA's premiere of Impact on Destination America, which was on a network in half the homes in the U.S. in prime time on Wednesday.

EVERYTHING IS FINE

42. This doesn't sound official.

43. The first 30 minutes reversal spot in the history of our great sport.

"THEYRE HAVIN FIN MAGGLE!"

44. Jarrett had a decent midcard run. Austin did nothing with the IC title so easy choice.

45. The 95 run was fun.

46. Sexy Flexy Biff KensingtonJanuary 10, 2015 at 9:25 AM

Randy Savage vs. Kurt Angle in their primes would be the glistening tits.

47. Marty is the real life Santa. Vote for him and he'll make your dreams come true.

48. http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/541863-wwe-live-event-results-109

49. Sexy Flexy Biff KensingtonJanuary 10, 2015 at 9:28 AM

That's... Kind of a cool name.

50. his reign only stands as better because Austin had to forfeit his belt.

but in all seriousness, Austin was white hot during that period (when he was able to move) - between the Owen feud, then the matches with Rock. And that match at IYH DX is fucking great.

51. I doubt Marty could eat a sub like Muraco.

A vote for Muraco is a vote for meatball subs!

52. In TNA's defense, there are other TV shows on at 9pm.

53. By the time Austin got the belt he was already bigger than it.

54. This is a good idea, actually. Just take Ole, Harley Race, Watts, Gagne and roll them all into one guy

55. Damn, Angle v Savage actually WOULD be a main event anywhere in the country.

I really had to think about this one, but in the end I went with Angle. He just had more tools than Savage.

56. I've come to this late. Is this a vote for who was better in their prime? or who was a batter Intercontinental Champion, and made the belt seem more prestigious when they held it, regardless of how good they were when they weren't Intercontinental Champion?

57. He had one match with The Rock. One. The one you just pointed out. It was his ONLY title defense.

And if you're going to throw matches around, while Austin-Rock was fun, it does not touch Jarrett/Michaels.

58. the promos alone would be fucking amazing.

59. How was he a better IC champ? The only memorable moments were his match vs. HBK and feuding with all the WWF's women.

60. It's a vote for The Mountie.

61. Let's not pretend that match is great because of Jeff Jarrett.

62. OK, how many five-star matches did Steve Austin have with Shawn Michaels? What's that? None? I see.

63. "So 1999 Savage and 2013 Angle?"

-Dixie Carter

64. How many five star matches does Jarrett have otherwise? What's that? None? I see.

65. I've been voting based on who did more with the IC title. So Savage, who main evented B house shows shows with that title would get the nod for me over Angle, who I can't remember doing anything very memorable with that particular strap.

66. Sexy Flexy Biff KensingtonJanuary 10, 2015 at 9:36 AM

In my opinion, Savage was a far better Intercontinental Champion than Angle, who only held the belt for like two months. Savage was awesome against Tito and Jake, got something memorable out of washed up George Steele and had a possible MOAT against Steamboat, one of the best feuds as well (don't discount Savage/Sammartino either).

67. So he's tied with Jarrett and a million others at 0? Interesting.

68. Wow the other round got pulled after no time at all!!! Damn, IMO we should leave it to one bracket a day.

69. I'm just knocking down that one point. Anyhow, my main argument is that when Jarrett held the title the belt meant more. Razor Ramon pursuing it meant something. Shawn Michaels pursuing it meant something. CHYNA pursuing it meant something.

When Austin held the IC belt, it meant nothing.

70. Angle trapping people in conversations about the Eurocontinental title was pretty memorable.

71. Sexy Flexy Biff KensingtonJanuary 10, 2015 at 9:37 AM

She's a twat, and I could imagine her saying something that stupid.

72. My hat voting finally bit me in the ass. I had to vote Jeff Jarrett over Steve Austin. That hurt.

73. He got injured, and then when he won it the second time he was already a too big for it.

74. Muraco
    Santino
    JJ
    Ziggler
    Savage
    Rey
    Ahmed
    Rvd

75. There is no criteria. I'm voting based on which IC champion has a better history with hat choices.

76. Ahmed might be second choice after the Mountie.

77. Repost from another reply: my main argument is that when Jarrett held the title the belt meant
    more. Razor Ramon pursuing it meant something. Shawn Michaels pursuing
    it meant something. CHYNA pursuing it meant something. When you're a
    midcard heel like Jeff Jarrett, that's you're JOB and he did it
    well. People justifiably hate on him for his main event runs, but as a
    secondary title holder he was effective.

When Austin held the belt, it meant nothing.

78. If you smell what the Mountie's cookin.

79. I picture more of a babyface. Like Ricky Morton, mullet and all. Dropkicks galore!

80. I just think the ic belt was kind of beneath Austin, even at the time he won it. Jarrett is sort of a text book ic champ IMO.

81. Sexy Flexy Biff KensingtonJanuary 10, 2015 at 9:40 AM

K-e-double n-y, Double A's bookending the l-p-h, Don't You Suck! lel

82. After living her for 5 years, all I can say is NYC loves its homegrown pro-wrestling.

83. The "it's still real to me!!!" brigade got their way in the last round as Goldust was considered a better champion than Benoit.

84. I just can't believe I voted for Jarrett over Austin in anything. I need to seriously reexamine my life choices.

85. Sexy Flexy Biff KensingtonJanuary 10, 2015 at 9:42 AM

I hope Mountie tries to zap Flair with the prod, only Naitch's leathery man cans don't conduct electricity and he jobs to a chop.

86. He kind of was. It's close but Goldust had a really memorable reign.

87. Sexy Flexy Biff KensingtonJanuary 10, 2015 at 9:42 AM

Hugs

88. That murder was pretty real to me dammit.

89. He totally was. I don't even remember Chris Benoit as IC champ.

90. It's funny...I think the fact that he did the whole Eurocontinental thing, while awesome, diminished the stand alone importance of both titles. Although there's a whole separate conversation about whether we ever needed a Euro title in the first place.

91. Thank god we stopped the "I started watching post attitude era" brigade from voting in Benoit.

92. Sub-eating Muraco would destroy Marty Jannetty. In both the ring and probably drug-doing contests as well.

93. Midcard heel who led several babyfaces on hot pursuits in 1995 and 1999 vs. guy who defended the belt once.

Austin is far and away the better wrestler, but Jarrett is without a doubt in my mind the better Intercontinental Champion.

94. Ohh damn.. These are the perils of headware based voting though I suppose.

95. I hear Muraco is not a fan of the black people. And if there's one person Muraco could give the Asiatic Spike to, it'd be Jesus Christ.

96. He also won the title many times when it was basically as important as the whc was just read recently. I just think people who didn't watch at the time don't know how huge golddust was.

97. You know, Austin DID wear a lot of hats. Baseballs caps, Cowboy hats with Vince and Kurt...

98. He was shootin on that one!

99. Yeah, you may have a point. I'm just voting based on who I think should win.

100. I wish we still had a European championship. They keep trying to treat the U.S. as an equal to the IC. European was something for rookies and jobbers to fight over. Gave them something to do.

101. Jarrett had great matches with Razor and Shawn when he was IC champ. Austin was injured the whole time he was IC champ.

102. It meant something when CHYNA was gunning for it but not when Rock was? Austin's feud with Rock over the title in December '97 was infinitely better than anything Jarrett has ever done in this business.

103. I looked at the World title as the IC title until it was unified.

104. If there was a tournament for greatest IWC writers, Marty would vote for you Scott. Return the favor. Vote Marty.

105. The Murder happened in real life by a real person who suffered from real mental illness and committed real suicide.
    We are voting for which character was the best holder of a fictional championship. The title matches aren't real, they are choreographed. The WWE is a fictional universe. Dolph Ziggler for example hasn't really been fired.

106. I voted Benoit, but Goldust was a really good champ too.

107. I watched WM28 with a friend that hadn't watched wrestling since the Attitude Era. The opening match was Sheamus vs Bryan for the WHC. When the ring announcer said "The following contest is for the World Heavyweight Championship..." my friend was like "ALREADY???" I'm like "No it's not THAT World Heavyweight Championship"

108. We're voting under any criteria that we like. Kenny Chill is voting based on hats.

109. Exactly, and the best person won.

110. Kick. Wham. Stunner. Middle Finger. Fargo Strut.

111. Yes, it did. That was a great feud.

The best parts of Austin/Rock over that title came while Rock was the IC Champ, by the way (the pager, the river toss.)

112. Eh, I was bored to tears by every Jarrett/Razor match.

113. Right, and the best champ won.

114. Okay well Benoit bored the hell out of me and I never liked him. I found Goldust entertaining from 1996-1999. Is that better?

115. I hate voting against Ahmed because I believe he would have gone down as one of the best IC champions ever if he didn't get hurt.

116. Speaking of Goldust, a lot of us deride Vince as a creative guy but man, he really hit something unique with the Goldust character. Such a crazy idea...it's easy to do a gay character in wrestling but Goldust was next level shit. Where the hell did the inspiration come from to do the character? Remember, this is 1995!

The mind games and bizarre psychology...you gotta give Dustin credit for pulling it off amazingly, too.

117. Austin wasn't champion for most of that. He forfeited the belt at Ground Zero.

118. The tiny cowboy hat with Vince and Kurt! Goddammit! I totally forgot about that! That would have won.... Oh well. Double J was more of s hat guy, so the right guy one.

119. But Chris Benoit was FOR REAL!!!

120. I love Benoit and would spam vote him into the next round if I had to in w tournament for best wrestler or even best WHC. And I'll watch those Jericho vs Benoit ic title matches any time. But golddust was a better and more memorable ic champ.

121. If he showed up in early 94 we might not have got the Diesel reign.

122. You mean you had tears in your eyes watching Jarrett carry a coked out Razor to great matches.

123. Plus he saved Ahmed Johnson's life by CPR!

124. They don't have IC title polls with integrity in Tunisia either.

125. The Pearl River Plunge is one of my favourite finishers ever.

126. I know but he still spent time being pissed off about being stripped of the title and making Owen's life a living hell. I dunno. I voting for Jeff Jarrett. Every segment he's ever appeared in on WWF TV was boring to me....unless Debra's titties were bouncing around.

127. So great and golddust helped make Ahmed into a huge star by getting so much heat on the belt.

128. That was a HUGE pop when Ahmed won the title. When he barreled out from backstage to beat Goldust's ass at the PPV...awesome.

129. Ahmed Johnson should have been our first black WWE Champion.

130. ****1/4-1/2, more like it.

131. That's never a certainty with Dolph.

132. Rock was only IC champ at the time because Vince stripped Austin and simply handed it to Rock. Austin never lost the title in the ring or due to the inability to compete, so I'm counting all of that due to nefariousness.

133. It was pretty much Exotic Adrian Street's gimmick mixed with a Hollywood backstory.

134. This IC Title Tournament is TEARING US APART, LISA!

135. Can't see the %'s so I'm wondering how many times I have to vote for rey. Lol

136. 97ish if he's healthy. Maybe wm13 if Ahmed had never suffered any injuries?

137. Yeah, Dustin really did kill it with that character, even if the in-ring stuff was the worst of his career.

138. And who convinced Debra to get breast implants? Jarrett!

Vote Jarrett if you like big tittays.

139. They were clearly grooming him and Mero in 1996, then next thing you know both got hurt and Austin happened.

140. He would've been if he could have stayed healthy. He was on fire.

141. Anybody that votes for Jannetty over Muraco needs to be shot

142. The first time he lost the title was because it was due to the inability to compete. Remember, he won it twice... actually defended the belt only once.

And clearly, storywise, the pursuing the belt meant SO MUCH to him that he threw it off a bridge.

143. 96-97 or if he'd shown up in 94, he could have taken Nash's place.

144. Good thing he made up for it later in regards to the in-ring stuff. Even now he's busting out ranas and stuff.

145. When Goldust first started Dustin was so focussed on the gimmick which was the norm in that era, it too precedence over having good matches however compare his run in 2002 and his current run and you can see how he has hit the perfect balance between gimmick and wrestling.

146. Meh, we were never that close anyway.

147. Interesting. Yeah, if he wins the '97 Rumble in dominant fashion I don't think it hurts Austin in any way. Austin and Bret eliminate each other to further their blood feud, Ahmed dumps the whole Nation and more to win it. Sid vs. Ahmed in the shittiest main event of all time would have been acceptable as long as we still get Austin-Bret. Ideally, Shawn as cowardly heel getting murdered by Ahmed for the belt, but HBK ended up out of the show anyway. (HBK-Ahmed, Sid-Taker, Bret-Austin).

148. The potential matches for Austin end up being really interesting.

149. Wasn't the plan that Vader beats Shawn at Summerslam and Ahmed beats Vader at Survivor Series?

150. If Vader beats Shawn for the belt at SummerSlam or Survivor Series, maybe you run Vader vs. Ahmed for the belt?

151. One of greatest heels of all time. The jobber match where he eats the sandwich is so great. Muraco is one of those before my time guys I've gone out of my way to watch as much as possible.

152. He certainly had every opportunity but he was injury prone and unsafe. Had he given a shit to stay in shape he may have had another opportunity later in his career.

153. The first segment of wrestling I ever watched was Muraco and Bundy attacking Hogan.

154. Seems logical, but I doubt Shawn ever lets that happen, politically-speaking

155. I can't believe that in 30 years they've never revisted that sandwich gimmick.

156. It's true. Shawn didn't like Ahmed, either. Thought he was a threat to his spot.

157. He was a way more intimidating version of Goldberg, before there was a Goldberg. I agree he could have been the Guy, even if only for a while

158. I voted Muraco but Jannety has a lot of credibility in this tourney based off his awesome early Raw match with Michaels. In my mind a big win, match, or moment with the belt can be just as important as a lengthy reign.

159. I'm talking about this particular reign where he feuded with Rock.

Pursuing the title had nothing to do with Austin throwing it off the bridge.

160. God, there's so much heel stuff they don't do anymore. At least Rollins can do bad shit like threaten to cripple Edge.

161. I'm glad jannety at least got voted into the tournament.

162. No, the plan was Vader wins, but Shawn gets it back at Rumble. They basically just subbed in Sid in that spot when Shawn wouldn't drop it to Vader.

163. Nothing he could have really done about it.

164. Steph would vote Marty and she knows what's best for business https://36.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me4ka0GU7d1rg89a6o1_400.jpg

165. Gives Jarrett's finishing move ""The Stroke" a whole new meaning.

166. Ah, gotcha. Makes sense since the Rumble was in San Antonio. But I do remember Ahmed winning something that made him number one contender so maybe he was going to be one of Vader's first challengers.

167. He seemed to hold influence over Vince, at least more so than Ahmed Johnson

168. He won a battle royal and then Ron Simmons debuted and attacked him, legit injuring him. Shawn and Ahmed seemed to be on their way to doing a MegaPowers angle.

169. Randy Savage hit that.

Allegedly.

170. That's right. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

171. Not to me. I don't think anyone has ever had that much influence over Vince.

172. That could have been pretty good. If anyone was gonna get something decent out of Ahmed, I'm sure 96-97 Shawn could have

173. Steph's vagina knows talent when it sees it.

174. And before his injuries, Ahmed was a great power wrestler. Not really technically sound but he was doing planchas and had great fire.

175. Hello?! Superfly Splash off the top of the Cage. Who retained the IC title in that match?

176. Randy Savage vs. Kurt Angle, compared with Curtis Axel vs. Santino? Really.

Also, I voted for Ahmed Johnson because he coined the term "the People's Champion" when he had to give up the title thanks to his potentially deadly kidney infection brought about at the hands of Faarooq Assad, the Modern Day Gladiator.

177. Ahmed Johnson was black?!

178. Let's relive Marty's glorious IC title win https://38.media.tumblr.com/4776c066d491369e718a4ba114ad33d3/tumblr_ng6bgddl9X1snhdpvo10_250.gif

179. AND it inspired Mick Foley to become a pro wrestler!

Muraco's feuds over the belt were famous blood feuds, too.

180. There is always room for a Rick Rude style heel character. Sadly, there is no one like that right now.

181. My theory is that they don't want heels to do innovative bad stuff because they fear the fans will cheer them over their chosen babyfaces.

182. Patterson beat Guerrero by two votes! I doubt we'll see another one that close.

183. If this was a headwear tournament, Faarooq would be unstoppable.