Sunday, January 4, 2015

Sunday Evening Thread

Football is over for the night, so what else is going on?

Royal Rumble '95 on the WWE Network at 8/7c.

NBA and NHL action going on.

And, don't forget PTBN's "This Week's in 90's Wrestling" feature from Jan 4th-10th.

You got anything else? Bring it here.

1,348 comments:

1. This Galavant show looks goofy but maybe in a fun way to enjoy.

2. I like stuff like that, so I might peep in

3. I just took one of those satisfying clean shits that made you feel like you lost 5 pounds. I guess most of last night's pizza is out of me.

4. I love when I poop those 2 foot long curly ones. Feel so good afterward.

5. It's Doug Gilbert motherfuckers YOU KNOW

6. Stranger in the AlpsJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:05 PM

That's what the evening threads are for.

Fan fic scat stories.

7. Oh, Total Divas is back....that's something, I guess.

8. I watched the OSW Review of Halloween Havoc '95 last night. I'm debating over whether to watch the actual PPV or not.

9. YER DADDY RAPED A LITTLE BITTY GURRRRRRRRRL! HYUK!

10. Night - Honorary BSK MemberJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:06 PM

You're a gross man-woman.

11. I just turned it on. Really like OSW's recent work.

12. So far, not kidding, Rumble 95 is better than 96

This 96 match is just....death...ongoing, degenerative death

13. "I got hot snakes, you guys!"
    "What's hot snakes?"
    "...It's when the diarrhea comes out like a hot snake."

14. Stranger in the AlpsJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:08 PM

Razor Ramon vs. Jeff Jarrett. Jarrett could have a great match with the right guy. Hall could have a good match with the right guy. Together these two had meh matches.

15. What bullshit that Cowboys/Lions game was. I hope the Cowboys choke.

16. Adam "Colorado" CurryJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:08 PM

Wish I would have done a 4 team parlay with these playoff games, I went 4 for 4 ATS. Of course, had I had money on them I probably would have been 0-4.

17. YOU KNOW I'M DOUG GILBERT AND JERRY LAWLER....

18. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHP4JtsBnUQ

19. Squat team? The shit is this? I don't remember this AT ALL

20. Chase one of those with a half gallon of chocolate milk and it'll turn into a brick you'll grunt over for two days.

21. ANOTHER term for Gov. Jerry Brown?

FACK

22. Finally getting way on that SF-to-LA bullet train? Fucking sweet.

23. Stranger in the AlpsJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:11 PM

Living in Texas, all I hear is Cowboys this and Cowboys that. My Facebook is littered with fan made photo-shopped memes, and for some reason the Texans get called the Ko-Texans.

24. Oh shit! Is that them? And they just don't have hair? I have zero recollection of this team

And Owen's in!!! I think he gets more than 2.8 seconds this year!

25. Adam "Colorado" CurryJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:11 PM

They're better known as the Headhunters, a garbage ("garbage" as in hardcore wrestling) team from FMW.

26. Digging Razor's yellow tights here.

27. Oh....I thought you meant Headshrinkers, yeah I have no clue who these people are

28. Stranger in the AlpsJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:12 PM

I'll always dig the black and gold.

29. I think that you're seeing their only appearance, or else possibly there was one more.

30. They the guys that looked like mini Abdullah the Butchers?

31. Two hosses bluntly and brutally beating the holy hell out of each other.

J.R.'s in heaven now.

32. Adam "Colorado" CurryJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:13 PM

Yeah, that's them.

33. Stranger in the AlpsJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:13 PM

Oh yeah, this show kicked off the LT-Bigelow feud. How did I forget that?

34. Owen's already been in Rumble 96 longer than the last five years combined and the next entrant is barely getting counted down....

35. I love the PPV intro with the limo coming up and all the wrestlers basically fighting over just getting a GLIMPSE of Pam...classic shit

36. Adam "Colorado" CurryJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:13 PM

I think they had one match on Raw and that was it.

37. Didn't they bring them back later in the year or early 97 for a shot or two. I seem to remember one of them doing a moonsault but unable to do anything else remotely resembling wrestling. Because, you see, THEY'RE FAT!

38. They were... fat. *end of file*

39. And she brushes off all those scrubs.

40. Seeing Stuart Scott's death in the news, still feels too surreal to be true. ;_;

41. Adam "Colorado" CurryJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:14 PM

Maybe.

42. Two matches into Wrestle Kingdom 9. Man, JR is really struggling on the commentary. Hope he settles in.

43. MikeyMike, JuggernautJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:14 PM

WWE should sign Ishii

44. Stranger in the AlpsJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:15 PM

She really looked like she wanted to be somewhere else.

PAMELA ANDERSON did not want to be associated with wrestling!

Think about that.

45. Two? You're at least 30 minutes back...

46. They were part of the greatest gimmick match ever in FMW. The Bathhouse tag team match. With bonus naked japanese women.

47. Jarrett with some good old Memphis cheating. I love it.

48. How was the episode? They haven't done a regular WCW or WWF one in almost a year, I think (their recent recaps notwithstanding)

49. Five things I want to happen in the 2015 Royal Rumble:

1. Dean Ambrose enters #1, lasts almost the entire time before getting tossed by Seth Rollins.
    2. Booker T cameo
    3. The Bunny enters the Rumble and is unmasked
    4. Sting cameo
    5. Rusev comes in and dominates, tossing almost everyone in the ring, and then ... KURT ANGLE'S MUSIC

50. Stranger in the AlpsJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:16 PM

Biscuit! Superstars is on Thursday nights!

51. Yeah, watching recording. Shelton just came out where I'm at. Does JR get better?

52. There are several wrestlers I either hated or didn't give a shit about as a kid but then when i grew up i've come to appreciate them more, Jarrett still isn't one of those guys.

53. Adam "Colorado" CurryJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:17 PM

She could do a lot worse than HBK or Nash. For example, Tommy Lee and Kid Rock.

54. I was kind of cringing listening to JR's Wrestle Kingdom commentary.

55. ....

....

....

....

I'm 30 seconds in what the fucking fuck am I watching

56. I guess... J.R. had a hiccup or two, but I thought he did just fine, and Striker was pretty damn solid.

57. Stranger in the AlpsJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:17 PM

I always gave Jarrett more credit than others did. He was very serviceable in the ring, but was not as influential as he gives himself credit for.

58. This guy freezes an enormous gummy bear with liquid nitrogen and then blasts it with a shotgun.

59. MikeyMike, JuggernautJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:18 PM

She's with an even bigger scumbag now I believe

60. Wait till they brawl into the shower rooms.

61. Adam "Colorado" CurryJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:18 PM

Japan is fucked up, man...

62. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FObprMNeDa4&NR=1

63. MikeyMike, JuggernautJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:18 PM

I think he is doing a good job.

64. mantaur is the surprise old timer and faces el torito

65. Shawn eliminates both Vader and Yoko AT THE SAME TIME, yup the Rumble's getting officially Clique'd in 96

66. The way the first two matches played, JR sounded like he had no idea what was going on or who was in the ring.

Striker's been good but I don't know if he's calling all the action because JR is confused, or this is by design. I thought JR was doing the play by play, but Striker's calling the matches.

67. He did fine, but he made a ton of errors and you can tell that he didn't know too much about the product.

68. It's great, they're so enthusiastic over how bad the show is.

Plus, it allowed my wife to hear the origins of The Dungeon of Doom, which was good fun.

69. Stranger in the AlpsJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:20 PM

I kinda hate it when a match ends, and then restarts either through some bravado by the face, or the ref says "the hell with it". Why can't they just go straight to the finish?

70. MikeyMike, JuggernautJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:20 PM

Has there ever been a more useless Diva than Eva Marie? I don't think that's hyperbolic at all.

71. Rumble '95. Was relatively recently back to watching wrestling at the time, having drifted away for a couple years. I remember being all "hey--Razor Ramon is the Diamond Stud!" Was still about six months away from realizing he was also "Big" Scott Hall from the AWA.

72. Maybe Candice Michelle. Until she started wrestling, she was much more useless.

73. Is the Japanese show over or ongoing? How was it?

74. MikeyMike, JuggernautJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:21 PM

What errors? Like names of moves or facts about the wrestlers

75. From that angle, then JR absolutely gets better. The opener was a bit fast for him, although I thought he kept up adequately, and the two multi-man matches were too short for him to really get into. After those three, he's definitely "settled down".

76. I hate handicap matches. *shrug*

77. Stranger in the AlpsJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:21 PM

Dailymotion channel updated with more Superstars and Wrestling Challenge. Tell your friends.

78. Adam "Colorado" CurryJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:21 PM

Even as a kid I thought that was silly. IRL he'd just bounce off them.

79. Stranger in the AlpsJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:21 PM

I do too. Especially if they're the main event of a show.

80. Didn't she do a Playboy shoot for the E?

81. MikeyMike, JuggernautJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:21 PM

She eventually won the title though. Eva has been worthless.

82. She did? OMFG.

83. Yes, he gets a lot better as he moves into singles matches.

84. Just noticed the creases under Ramon's butt cheeks where he wasn't tan. Can never un-see that now.

85. MikeyMike, JuggernautJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:23 PM

The replay is on PPV right now. So far it's been great.

86. Stranger in the AlpsJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:23 PM

I don't notice dude's butts.

87. Sigh. It's just so hard to judge between Rosa Mendes, Eva Marie, and Ashley Massaro.

88. Oh god, have I been watching wrestling wrong all these years?

89. The biggest one was trying to transition from the opener... "From four-team mayhem to eight... (team?)..."

Striker had to pick him up there, with a SMOOTH cover "But first, this six-man tag."

And I am noticing Striker doing more work early, but once it got down to the singles matches (with the one tag match), JR was back in his element.

90. They're like two glowing turn arrows...

91. Adam "Colorado" CurryJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:25 PM

Sometimes I do, but I keep those thoughts to myself.

92. Tonight's Simpsons is quite odd.

93. Jojo maybe. Eva to me is SO simple to book as the new Woman. All she needs is a DOOM.

94. He and Strike pronouncing Shinsuke Nakamura's name as ShinSUKAY instead of ShinSKAY, the fact that Yujiro turned heel many years ago, there's a lot more but I wasn't necessarily keeping track. Striker did amazing, JR just seemed like he knew all the guys names and signature moves, but no real backstory or previous match results.

95. Stranger in the AlpsJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:25 PM

I thought I was. Maybe I wasn't.

96. MikeyMike, JuggernautJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:25 PM

Good call with Rosa. She's been with the company around as long as Trishs tenure with the company. That's crazy.

97. Oh man! Thank you thank you!

98. Halfway through the replay, it was a damn fine PPV. Someone earlier had the best description: "Everything solidly good or great, but nothing historically great."

I'd argue the worst match was **, and that from a comedy match.

99. "The Good Wife" is back with a new episode tonight. This has me ecstatic!

100. Science needs to go ahead and get some pills or something created that allows you to selectively forget certain things so that every movie or ppv can be brand new and fresh.

But, you know, something something brain damage.

101. Except for mispronouncing hyperbole and saying "revelation" instead of "revolution" in terms of someone rotating.

It was 3.5 hour show with an entirely new product. JR did damn good, considering the circumstances. It's not like he was smooth as butter during WM 9, his first show there

102. And he's a bit older now... even if this product is more in his wheelhouse in presentation/style than WWF was for most of his run.

103. I was watching the latest black mirror last night. One cool/horrible technology is the ability to block people permanently; they can't see or hear you and vice versa.

104. Stranger in the AlpsJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:28 PM

Razor-Jarrett gets ***. Lost a little momentum with the false finish. The knee injury was a good bit of psychology.

105. ThebrazilianpsychoJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:28 PM

Voices of Wrestling gave ***** to the last two matches of WK9.

106. Neither. But close.

107. I mistyped lol. Razor vs.Goldust was '96. I just watched it the other night. My brain = zzzzzzzzzzzz.

108. Stephanie Wiand looks like they found her at a casino.

109. Stranger in the AlpsJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:29 PM

Modest output this far, but I'll have more uploaded later this week.

110. i really liked the song he "sang"

111. Meltzer is still cleaning up his living room.

112. This Pam Anderson thing where all the dudes are sending her stuff is kind creepy in retrospect.

113. Stephanie Wiand... Todd Pettengill... good lord.

114. The IC title match is most definitely NOT the full monty... I can't comment on the World title match because I embarrassingly passed out during the intros. So this'll actually be my first time watching it.

115. I don't think either of them were above 4.5. People seem to be overrating the matches a bit because of the presentation, I think. I read after the show, Meltzer was talking about how 5 of the matches should be 4 plus stars. It was a very good show, maybe even great. But it's not like it was legendary.

116. I never minded Pettengill honestly. Of course I was 11 here.

117. Man, I fell off of a bench a couple of days ago, and now my back is knotted up good.

What a drag it is getting old.

118. God, Meltzer...

119. Stranger in the AlpsJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:31 PM

In the mid-90's, who thought it would be a good idea to bring a female backstage. That's cruisin' for a sexual harassment lawsuit.

120. You mentioning JR having trouble with the tag matches isn't really surprising, even when they were all guys that he personally hired (E/C and the Hardyz) he'd get mixed up, more than two people and his ability to feel the story and call it accordingly really got lost

Barry Horowitz is in the Rumble!!! I think this might be his first appearance in history too

121. ThebrazilianpsychoJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:31 PM

Let's if they surpass WK7, that is NJPW WM X-7 show.

122. how would handle he the usos?

123. Stranger in the AlpsJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:32 PM

How did you fall off a bench? Like, backwards? Did the bench not have a back?

124. IC title is definitely worth ****3/4 on rewatch.

125. Oh god, that's a hilarious question.

126. His slicked-back 90's mullet hurts my soul.

127. It's time to retire when you're getting injured on the bench.

128. That guy hard way too much of a hard-on for the main event.

129. Stranger in the AlpsJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:33 PM

Oh shit. The Undertaker vs. Anyone Trying to Steal His Urn.

I was not a Taker fan until after the style switch to MMA-lite.

130. No, I slid off the end. I thought that there was more bench than there was.

131. The parade of international dating banners here is just something.

132. The Iast two were both ****1/2, IMO. And the Omega match was ****. And the AJ match was about ****

133. God help him if it was a match featuring Chris Benoit and Chris Jericho. Or even when it wasn;t.

*Benoit comes down the ramp*
    JR: "I think Jericho's looking right at you, Game!"
    HHH: "Yeah, so is Benoit."

134. Stranger in the AlpsJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:34 PM

Sucks. I think you've earned an ice pack however. You've paid your dues.

135. You musical chair'd yourself into a sprained lumbar?

Smooth.

136. Undertaker didn't get good til Diesel softened him up and then Mankind humanized him.

137. If only that Asian dating one wasn't spyware...

138. I was watching a Burger King burn. It was mesmerizing.

139. 4*:
    Makabe-Ishii (I wouldn't fight this one being lower, but I can buy it at that level)
    Styles-Naito (Same as the previous)
    Tanahashi-Okada (Them NOT reaching 4 would actually be a failure, IMO. Again, I haven't seen it yet.)

Nakamura-Ibushi and Omega-Taguchi were three and change, but definitely not four.

140. ThebrazilianpsychoJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:35 PM

Lanza compared the match to the Kobashi/Misawa matches.

141. Thanks for taking the bullet.

142. Ross has been pretty bad for around a decade now. There comes a point where age makes you too slow and can't follow matches, and he's long past that.

143. MikeyMike, JuggernautJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:35 PM

What became of Stephanie Wiand?

144. It's bizarre how many Rumbles feature a "Sixty guys attack Taker" finish, at least 4 of them

145. You know you have spectacular product on your hands when fans are disappointed there was nothing historically great on a card.

146. I have no idea why her and her clown hair is on the main roster when Charlotte is toiling in NXT.

147. Stranger in the AlpsJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:35 PM

Also, Mike Rotundo has to be one of the more boring wrestlers of his era. He was much better as a tag team wrestler.

148. They almost had me with the Arab one. JESUS that ass.

149. I'll see it in a while, I remember it being damn solid but not exactly special.

150. I used to have that one on a compilation tape.

151. Soap opera writing

152. Rotunda is one of the sweatiest guys I've ever seen in the ring.

153. He also started the annoying announcer penchant of calling everything longer than 15 minutes an instant classic. He used to have a great ability to elevate matches, but when EVERYTHING got treated like Austin vs. Rock, it just became self-parody.

154. The Varsity Club was perfect for him. He was good when he cared, but yeah I'll make less into more as the Rasslin' Bureaucrat.

155. Adam "Colorado" CurryJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:37 PM

That Asian date website TV ad might just be the most racist ad I've ever seen. Well, besides the white pride radio billboard.

156. Very good. Their glee at the awfulness of the Monster Truck Sumo Match is adorable.

157. Adam "Colorado" CurryJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:37 PM

I LOVE middle eastern chicks.

158. but if something was crap, he also had his JR way of showing that too

159. Ditto. And Asian chicks, but Middle Eastern chicks have quite an allure.

160. Ridiculous. He also said Okada did the AA on the ramp. Noob.

161. Yeah, but I think that's more him being told to say that. Cole does the same.

162. Why didn't you give Nakamura/Ibushi four?

163. Yeah, at least he was honest about that, although I also approve of Cole and JBL flat out ignoring bad Divas matches and just shooting the breeze.

164. Ashley Massaro

165. LOL'd hard when the Young Bucks hit the Meltzer Driver and Striker actually called it that.

166. I'm sure I'm the first to think of this: why wouldn't someone just pull on Irwin's tie?

Hanging from the rafters here at the Rumble....

167. Ibushi is the man

168. I saw 3 Arab chicks with the full body black hijab thing and just slits for eyes walking through the mall all carrying Victoria Secret bags. It was weird to see.

169. I'm getting a lot of "why was this video banned" ads with women on exercise equipment

170. As I mention above, I found it a solid, well-wrestled match; just not "special" in any manner.

171. WWE should've nabbed him instead of KENTA.

172. I don't know why JR doesn't call any of these mid-90's Rumbles, the last one I watched I think was Vince/Lawler, this one is Vince/Perfect

173. I just want to know what they bought lol

174. That would not have been called if PWInsider was doing commentary

175. ThebrazilianpsychoJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:39 PM

So he's definitely overracting, I prefer Joe reviewing, but he's good.

176. The back story and the match combined put it near 5* in my books, but to each their own, I guess.

177. Today's crowd would shit all over early 90s Undertaker.

178. For what it's worth, I had Ishii/Makabe & Nakamura/Ibushi at ****, and the main event at ****3/4. That was my live reaction though, I might alter it on a rewatch.

179. The Scherer Driver is a modified bulldog.

Tip your waitresses!

180. The character stuff really shines and the finish doesn't feel so abrupt. It's a lot of fun.

181. Stranger in the AlpsJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:40 PM

Oh yeah. He would get Kane-like reactions from the BoD.

182. When I was in Turkey 18 months ago, I couldn't believe how many women dress like that.

183. Without geometry... LIFE IS POINTLESS!

I slay me!