In order to better deal with the suckage that is the current WWE product, I've been youtubing old NWA footage like a madman.
1. Was there ever anyone better than Flair? Guy was the complete package.
2. Speaking of Flair, can you explain 1985 to me? Was Flair vs Nikita a heel vs heel feud?
3. And speaking of Nikita, as over as it seems he was after his face turn, was there ever any thoughts to giving him a brief run with the belt?
4. Tully Blanchard was a fantastic heel? Do you ever feel he was overshadowed by Flair?
1. No, there was indeed no one ever better than Flair. I feel like that is the objective answer to the question.
2. Kinda. See, back before people were "performers" doing "sports entertainment", the title used to mean something and Flair would defend against whoever the best contender and biggest money draw was. Because the goal used to be making money instead of putting smiles on faces through corporate synergy or whatever the fuck it is now. So Nikita was the biggest contender and although Flair was an asshole, he was an AMERICAN asshole who wasn't gonna stand for some Russian somewhere saying that America was wack. It was a weird dynamic in a lot of ways, but it helped Nikita become a better worker, so there's that.
3. Nooooooo. Oh my god what a disaster that would have been.
4. Tully was awesome, but he was only overshadowed in the sense that Flair was a main event guy and Tully was not and was never going to be, and Tully knew it. Even if Flair was gone it's not like Tully was going to be on top of the promotion. He was the arrogant prick that everyone hated and who always talked shit and then backed down from the fight, and that was his role.