Hey Scott: Just finished up Nitro 1996 on the Network and would love your insight on a few questions I had.
- What was the plan behind Giant's heel turn? Why have him turn the turn again a few months later?
- Why did Sting attack Jarrett and Steiner? Was he trying to say Jarrett couldnt be trusted?
They wanted Bulldog as the fourth guy in the nWo but he signed a new deal with the WWF and so Bischoff panicked and turned the Giant instead. As for why he turned back, because WCW.
- What was the deal with all the Sullivan promos on Benoit? I know all the Nancy/Benoit stuff but did they ever pay this off?
They were making it all up as they went along.
- What happened with Glacier? I thought he was pretty unique and was getting over for a few weeks but then he disappeared. Do you think he could have been big?
They had a million falls count anywhere matches all through 1997 until no one gave a shit about either guy any more, so that was KIND of a payoff, I guess.
I think the original idea of using Bryan Clarke or someone else with some name value in the featured role would have fit better than Ray Lloyd did. By the time we proceeded through Glacier, Mortis and then Ernest Miller, the concept was pretty much doomed to fail. Glacier looked like the gym teacher he was, not a top level martial artist ninja or whatever the hell.
- Did they have any long term plans for guys like Eddie, Benoit or Jericho or was it just go out there and have a good match?
If you weren't joining the nWo, opposing the nWo, or or forming your own faction of the nWo, there were no long term plans for you.
Thank you sir!