Evening Thread - Sunday Edition

Fall Brawl '98 on the network stream tonight, beginning at 8:00 PM ET. Card included Disco Inferno/Alex Wright vs. The British Bulldog/Jim Neidhart; "Goldberg" vs. Chris Jericho; Ernest Miller vs. Norman Smiley; Rick Steiner vs. Scott Steiner; Juventud Guerrera vs. Silver King for the WCW Cruiserweight championship; Perry Saturn vs. Raven; Dean Malenko vs. Curt Hennig; Konnan vs. Scott Hall; the main event is the three-way WarGames match with DDP/Piper/Warrior vs. Hogan/Hart/Stevie Ray vs. Sting/Luger/Nash.

MLB playoffs continue with Orioles-Tigers still going at the time of posting this; Angels-Royals Game 3, with the Angels trying to stave off elimination in what would be called an upset, as the Royals Cinderella-like saga continues.

Sunday Night Football on NBC: Cincinnati @ New England.

Sunday night TV has the premieres of Bob's Burgers and Mulaney on FOX.

Comments

1. That War games is the single worst match in the history if professional wrestling.

2. Warrior Hogan 2 would like a word with you.

3. It's on like neckbone!

4. No touchdown for you Vick.

5. People keep forgetting to think about how in 5 years from now PPV as we know it won't exist because of the changes in how people use their televisions. On top of that, an increasing amount of people are learning how to stream PPVs or just watch something else and follow the live results on a website, especially since WWE hasn't been a much-watch product in YEARS. As a result, WWE PPV buyrates have steadily declining across the board for several years. It was either stay on a sinking ship (PPV) or try something new (Network).

I think WWE made the right move by trying to find a new way to deliver its big events to get a jump on the next generation of technology, but since the product sucks even paying $10 a month to see PPVs isn't worth it. WWE desperately needs unique content for the Network, but the company isn't willing to spend the money to produce it.

Put it this way: the Network has been around for 8 months and outside of Legend's House (which was already in the can) and there hasn't really been any exciting must-see content since the initial launch. That's pathetic.

6. Mitch, The GodfatherOctober 5, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Here come the Cincinnati Lesnars.

7. CruelConnectionNumber2October 5, 2014 at 5:38 PM

The weapon and the move are both called the "slapjack" because WCW wouldn't allow the use of the word "blackjack" as a weapon.

8. I wonder if Ned will yank Big Game James after 60 pitches tonight?

9. MikeyMike, WitnessOctober 5, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Watched Garden State this afternoon and it was quite the depressing movie.

10. one other big difference is that I can rewatch saw hbk/taker in 30 minutes but the 2008 superbowl would take 2 hours even if you eliminated commercials/timeouts/injuries/halftime/etc.

11. Whew Trout tatered that one

12. I would ask why, but I already know the answer...

13. In fifteen minutes?!

14. On top of that, you could go to YouTube and watch a 5 minute Super Bowl 2008 highlight video to see all he key plays. Wrestling doesn't translate quite as well to highlight videos since good long matches (like Michaels/Taker) tell a story.

15. Hey, what happened 17 years ago?

In Your House Badd Blood, with the first Hell in the Cell match.

SHOW THAT ON THE NETWORK INSTEAD.

16. As far as some of the PPV companies are concerned, any PPV outside of WrestleMania is Network-only already...

17. You could just find it in the library and watch it that way....

18. Wow, missed the Blog Hockey Draft due to work and got auto - drafted a pretty good team nonetheless.

19. Okay...I let my dog out and he comes back in with a little bit of shit on top of his head and under his chin. How the fuck does this happen?

20. Not feeling too good about the Pats tonight.

Here is Tommy Kelly, who they waived, talking about how cheap the Pats are.

21. My fantasy hockey team isnt that bad

22. WWE is definitely ahead of the curve with the Network. Basically every sports league is keeping an eye on it to see how it performs.

23. Bob Kraft is the greatest owner to ever own anything.

24. I've never played fantasy hockey. My team looks pretty solid on paper. Not sure how the scoring works with fantasy though. I'm the Cleveland Steamers btw.

25. I randomly signed up to some ESPN hockey league. Auto drafted. Have NO idea how it works or how my team is.

26. Seeing Price and Scherzer walk after this season is going to be hilarious.

27. MikeyMike, WitnessOctober 5, 2014 at 5:50 PM

To add, Tom Brady comes off as a miserable fuck.

28. He seems fine, but he never rolls in shit or anything.

29. MikeyMike, WitnessOctober 5, 2014 at 5:50 PM

You think that both go?

30. I thought Price had one more year before FA

31. The Pats are trying to fuck him over.

If he is still the starting QB at the end of the season, he is guaranteed the last 3 years of his deal. They have fucked over guys for years and even the National media are calling out Kraft for how he is building his team

32. I think I read somewhere that dogs eat their poop when they are sick.

33. Bob Costas is insufferable

34. It wasn't on his mouth...under his chin and on his head/neck by his collar.

35. KC has two runners on

36. I wish the sanctimonious midget would go take a long walk off a short pier

37. That was not a strike

38. I believe so. Scherzer would've accepted the huge money deal they offered him earlier but he declined. He'll end up on the Yanks, Dodgers, or another big money team. Price, I believe is a free agent and I can't see him staying with Detroit.

39. Wish Vince would have manned the hell up and socked Costas good.

40. Someone took a shit on your dog buddy.

41. Come on Royals

42. Oh, maybe he was just giving it a nice big sniff then.

43. Squandering his remaining years with crap receivers, trading draft picks for picks in the future every year, I really don't know what the fuck they are doing

44. Obviously.

I'm just saying Fall Brawl 98 is a stupid fucking choice for the live stream, and a much better and more historically appropriate option is RIGHT THERE. Especailly with Hell in the Cell in a few weeks.

And I mean if the point of the Network is to grow the subscription base, wouldn't it be a good idea to make the Sunday Night "pay-per-view" night meaningful? LIke have Cole and Lawler -- instead of just shoting $9.99 every other minute, talk about a show you can WATCH on the live stream? Promote that shit! Three weeks before this year's hell in the cell, watch the first Hell in the Cell match ever. Only on the WWE Network.

45. Haha that's great. Someone in my football league went with Cleaveland Steamers as well.

46. Running things on the cheap to maximize profit.

The Kraft's have a rep of being cheapskates

47. Lol who the fuck knows...this is the first time in 9 years he's come back in with shit on him.

48. We started at 6:30 eastern, so about 1:15.

49. What do you think of the Colts as a streaming defense this week? I dropped the Texans for Green Bay and now I've got a need for next week.

50. No Bob Kraft is the greatest man who ever lived...according to the media.

51. Yep. The guys in charge of the live stream are clueless idiots. I think they fired like 5-6 different guys that ran it. They should give the job to Joey Styles.

52. 12 teams, 22 picks, just over half the draft was autopicked.

53. Take the Chargers D if available. Got Oakland coming up.

54. Take a home defense against a shaky offense...Eagles got me 23 points today.

55. Mine'll probably finish last. But who knows?

56. it was a long process.

The basketball draft last year had 16 teams but 12 teams showed up to draft and it flew by

57. Looks like another binge viewing of Bonack Horseman for me. Have another great night ya'll.

58. I have heard horror stories of him and his son. Fucking entitled shits that they are.

59. It'd be wrong to open a restaurant that served Bonobo, and advertise as "the closest you can get to cannibalism." Right?? Too bad/good thing they are endangered.

60. I'm big believer in taking whoevers against the Jags.

61. Houston's defense is better than Green Bay's though.

62. I wonder how much money could've been made on a $100 halftime bet on the Browns.

63. finally bought the Sting blu-ray, and about to pop this fucker in.

Ummm....giggity?

64. Royals have based loaded with two outs in the 1st

65. Angels warming someone up already???

66. Looking forward to seeing the Bengals beat the shit out of the Pats tonight.

67. Knowing Dalton he'll shit the bed here. Hoping he doesn't though.

68. Wilson seems to be having an anxiety attack on the mound.

69. ThebrazilianpsychoOctober 5, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Did Brad Pitt had any type of award nomination for Fight Club?

70. MikeyMike, WitnessOctober 5, 2014 at 5:58 PM

When I took them on Thursday they were at -1.5. So I got nothing.

71. 3 run double by Alex Gordon

72. Never trust Marvin Lewis...ever

73. Is there a better .270 hitter in the majors than Alex Gordon? I think not

74. Holy shit...Wilson yanked after 2/3 of an inning.

75. The Patriots offense is just bad man. That defense is going to have a field day.

76. He might have actually shit his pants. He looked that nervous

77. davidbonzaisaldanamontgomeryOctober 5, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Call CJ Wilson Glass Joe cause that's a first round KO

78. The O-Line will get embarrassed again.

79. davidbonzaisaldanamontgomeryOctober 5, 2014 at 6:01 PM

I don't blame Scoscia, CJ wasnt sharp at all

80. Green Bay got me 36 over a projected 9 from Houston, which is why I dropped them in a close matchup.

Texans scored 10.

81. The season 2 finale of Hannibal was a truly holy shit ending. 10/10 show. Couldn't recommend it enough.

82. Speaking of composure, I give Yordano Ventura a ton of credit for coming back to pitch the way he did after Yost inexplicably put him in relief in the Wild Card. A lot of younger players would not be able to come back like that.

83. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarOctober 5, 2014 at 6:03 PM

I hated all the characters in the first half of that movie, but they eventually grew on me. Plus, unhealthy crush on Natalie Portman.

84. It's kind of amazing how skilled Tony Schiavone is at spewing bullshit.

85. Hapless Raiders!?! Anyone else and I'd laugh and agree but Bob Costas doesn't get to call MY Raiders hapless. That smug son of a bitch.

86. He is so awful

87. Going deep in this "Brady out of NE" agenda on NBC.

88. "Yep Mode" ABeyAnce1©October 5, 2014 at 6:05 PM

New Family Guy on tonight as well?

89. It was a thing of beauty. I'm glad you got into the show. There are so many ways that multiple people can die or almost all of them can survive. I also hear that we probably won't even know who lives and dies until the second or third episode of Season 3. The first episode will probably focus on Hannibal's life on the run and what the Gillian Anderson character's motivations are.

90. Any Costas bashing gets an automatic like from me.

91. What channel is that on?

92. "Yep Mode" ABeyAnce1©October 5, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Thanks, I be back by 9, gonna do some work to kill time.

93. Any comment that says I get an automatic like for Costas bashing gets an automatic like from me.

94. Thanks.

Might give that a watch.

95. No. Fight Club as a movie didn't really do all that great in theaters. It had mixed reviews and more positive than negative but the negative reviews were far louder. Most of the early reviews either didn't get it or assumed that audiences wouldn't get it.

It only became a success later in the movie's life when it attained cult classic status.

96. It has been coming on mid season on Thursday or Friday nights on NBC. I'm not sure if Hulu shows the whole season or just the last few episodes.

97. I watched an episode of Blacklist and I liked it. Trouble is, the episode I watched was the finale. Doh.

98. Lupica can wrap his head around a bag of dicks and suffocate as well.

99. I always enjoyed Disco Inferno.

100. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarOctober 5, 2014 at 6:08 PM

It's on Netflix, too.

101. I got no beef with Alex Flanagan but her voice is nasally as all get out.

102. Hannibal might be the only smartly written drama on network TV right now. It's definitely worth tracking down.

103. Damn Alex Wright's hair thinned out A LOT between the early Nitros and late-98.

104. is there BOD fantasy basketball this year?

105. Good to know. Thanks.

106. Are you sure about that? All I see is the Anthony Hopkins movie/sequel, not the TV show

107. but his dick was still huge

108. Yes. Where you in it last year. I will send out the invites soon.

109. no, but I would be down to be in it this year.

110. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarOctober 5, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Oh, I was talking about Blacklist.

111. In this commercial Steph Curry looks like he should be standing next to the kids.

112. I will put up a post this week. There is at least one empty spot from last year (RIP Farva) but there could be more too.

113. MikeyMike, WitnessOctober 5, 2014 at 6:11 PM

I wasn't either but would like to.

114. I really like that show.

115. Damn you for pointing that out.

116. As much of a burial as the Bengals/Patriots can be tonight, Seattle and Washington tomorrow could be downright cruel.

117. Well now l know why he never had a hurricanrana in his moveset.

118. It's in DC though...Seattle isn't nearly as scary on the road.

119. Biff Kensington IIIOctober 5, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Call me crazy, but if Washington's at home tomorrow night they have a fighting chance. Cousins can be erratic, but they have big play potential, and Seattle's not as dominant on the road as they are at home.

120. Frankenstein isn't as scary in a tutu but he's still damn scary.

121. Yeah I think it might have been you that recommended it to me and thank you for that.

I read that too about Season 3. The show is brilliant.

122. Was anybody else laughing about ESPN's article about the Pats trying to force Brady out?
    Also, I heard that Harbaugh isn't returning to the 49ers even if he wins the Super Bowl.

123. Biff Kensington IIIOctober 5, 2014 at 6:17 PM

I know there's a long way to go yet, but if K.C. holds on then we're in for a really entertaining old-school ALCS. Both Baltimore and Kansas City have suffered enough, and it's really refreshing (and exciting) to see hungry teams revitalizing franchises.

124. He should have left for WWE when he had a chance. I think Vince could have made him into something special.

125. I want in too please.

126. The Tom Brady stuff is ridiculous. Their receivers suck, Hernandez is in jail, Welker is in Denver, Gronk and Amendola are hurt, they never replaced Branch or Moss, they never bothered to develop a run game, they let a stud O linemen go. What do they expect?

127. Seeing Brady in anything besides a Patriots jersey would honestly be more jarring than seeing Peyton in a Broncos uniform.

128. I've been saying he's coaching Michigan next year for weeks now...

129. Sounds like you're right.

130. They expect to magically be good. Is that too much to ask!?

131. Biff Kensington IIIOctober 5, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Because of how abrasive Belichick can come across, I can actually see this happening.

132. When you put it that way, I'm left wondering, "What exactly have the higher ups done for that team the last few years?"

133. Love how Kraft is getting called out by the media for being the cheap-ass he is.

Brady is guaranteed the final three years of his contract if he begins next season as the starter. They are cheap and want to make sure to hang him out to dry so the fanbase wont go ballistic when they dump him.

Their receiving corps and O-Line is among the worst in the league

134. Interested in this John Mulaney show night.

135. Kraft runs a team good enough to compete but refuses to spend to win. They are $12 million under the cap

136. They trade down in draft picks and get extras for later. They're stockpiling assets! This kind of strategy NEVER fails!!!

137. It's supposed to be terrible

138. It looks pretty bad from the ads I've seen. However I thought Brooklyn Nine Nine was bad too based off the ads. I clearly know nothing.

139. same as the Celtics gutting their team.

140. Everyone flipped out when NBC passed on Mulaney ,but it seems like they passed for a reason.

141. Because they dont want to pay for higher picks.

They had to switch the way they did rookie contracts because the PAts forced guys like Vince Wilfork to sign 6 year deals as rookies to no money as they were near the end of the round thus not making all that much.

142. LOL'd hard at the Bills carrying Gym Shorts off the field.

143. I checked out his stand up just to get a gist of his comedy stylings. I doubt I'll be giving Mr. Mulaney a second look.

144. That's sad, previously the Pats were a threat almost every year to potentially win a Super Bowl.

145. Was never a fan of his standup. He wrote some decent stuff on SNL, along with some crap

146. Watched the first episode of A to Z. It's a pretty fun show.

147. That's kind of ridiculous when you have proven winners on your team. Most teams at least TRY to replace or upgrade. Here, you're just letting guys die on the vine

148. He's the hip comic at the moment so if Mulaney's reviews are bad as they are, that's saying something.

Then again, these shows take time

149. I never liked Stefon. Everyone is blowing him so it's funny to see his sitcom get shit on

150. They got Danny Amendola and Brandon LaFell then dumped Mankins to save $6 million against the cap this year when they were well under it

Its a joke.

151. Patriots Place is kinda cool though

152. The Big Al-boski.

153. I typically wait until the second season to watch a show. Gets first season rough edges out of the way and I'm always weary of getting invested in a show during the first season because they tend to disappear.

154. Didnt they just change the lines from dress to the live show? Anyone can do that.

155. What's even more sad, the rest of the division sucks so much shit, they'll still win it by default.

156. Judging by the reviews, this does not appear to be getting a second season

157. This is in New England? This should be fun.

158. It has the Family Guy lead-in, so that should help. But the Seinfeld comparisons are going to kill it

159. They need to put A LOT more of the old stuff (pre-Attitude Era) for me to be really happy with spending $10 a month on it.

160. That really is.

Ive been there for ganeday and its a good time. There is a ton of shit there do to even if you do not like football.

161. I just never found it funny and I hate cracking up

162. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarOctober 5, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Blah. What a boring weekend. And now I have to go back to work tomorrow. Blah.

163. It tanked, which sucks. I get the feeling NBC was just killing time until they moved the Blacklist

164. Yeah, the cracking up I thought was due to the line changes.

But yeah, that has been what they are going for since Fallon/Sanz.

165. You must not be a college football fan then.

166. Are they canceling it?

167. Extant1979 - Ghetto SuperstarOctober 5, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Nope, not for me.

168. Yes!!! Jericho Spinal Tap!!!

169. I think they will cancel it yes.

170. Is that the show with the hot actress who was the mother in HIMYM?

171. I hate it when the cancel a show after 1-2 episodes.

172. They won't be cancelling it after 1-2 episodes. It will get cancelled eventually. Prob won't get more than the 13 episode order. Depends how the rest of the NBC schedule shakes out

173. I hope the viewership picks up for it and it gets renewed.

174. Getting to and from Gillette is the 7th circle of hell

175. Come on Gronk you no good so-and-so. One TD is all I need.

176. Yeah, there's something about her... just kinda sexy and sweet at the same time.

177. I love how the Pats cut Randy Moss after one bad game.

178. It takes time to build. Word of mouth and time to improve quality.

179. Lots and lots and lots of walking.

180. Me too but it's in a brutal timeslot against Scandal and football

181. The Vikings cut him that season too.

182. And from what I've heard, she was great in Once.

183. The Browns comeback was the largest by a road team at halftime in NFL history.

184. Randy Moss should thank the Raiders. That suck hole inspired him to leave and work hard.

185. And parking in someone's lawn. And watching traffic just not move for hours.

186. Pats look inspired tonight.

187. Oh, the parking is fucking awful, which makes no sense as there is a ton of area they could turn into parking.

188. They heard all that mess you've been talking. They'll show you Bayless. They'll show you good.