Evening Thread - Thursday Edition

Some Thursday night discussion points for you:

WWE Network with NXT at 9/8c. The main event for the show will be Adrian Neville against Titus O'Neil in a non-title match. Then Superstars at 10/9c, featuring Jack Swagger vs. Bo Dallas and Kofi Kingston vs. Tyson Kidd.

Thursday night NFL action has AFC West action San Diego Chargers taking on the Denver Broncos. The Chargers are 5-2 and the Broncos are 5-1. Sounds like a pretty good game. That's on CBS at 8:25 ET.

There's NCAA football with #18 E. Carolina at home to Connecticut and Miami (FL) at Virginia Tech.

NHL action, NBA preseason with the regular season opener less than a week away.

Comments

1. I take it Titus is never leaving NXT land. I wonder if they specifically told him what he needs to work on or just told him to learn how to work

2. When these young bucks ask me what to do to impress these buddies I just tell me to have some pink rozay on ice and throw on some new jack swing. Like shooting fish in a bucket.

3. As a wrestling fan I've never really cared about or paid much attention to the TV ratings, PPV buyrates, WWE Network subscription numbers, etc. For those who do, what's the appeal? Why do you care? And is that interest specific to wrestling? Like, if you're a wrestling fan who tracks ratings, are you doing the same for your other favorite TV shows?
    My best guess has always been that because wrestling is a never-ending weekly live show, promoters are more likely to make quick decisions based on weekly ratings. For example, if 'Boardwalk Empire' has already shot its season, if it turns out the Al Capone character draws lower ratings during his segment, it's not like they can change anything about how he's "pushed" until the next season. Whereas in wrestling, Dean Ambrose drawing a low rating one week can be addressed for the following week's show. Therefore, it matters more to wrestling fans what the weekly ratings are because it can immediately impact your favorite characters.
    Is that somewhere near the truth?

4. I'm still sticking to my theory that Roman Reigns isn't really injured and that WWE sent him to Texas to secretly work with Undertaker or Steve Austin (or both?) on how to improve in and outside the ring. The way Reigns' alleged injury helped create the Rollins-Cena-Ambrose-Brock angle at Night of Champions and beyond, the way they seemed oddly prepared for his absence, the fact that they ran Reigns-Rollins on free TV the week before it was supposed to be on PPV ... it's all pretty convenient. And if they're still committed to Reigns being The Guy leading up to WrestleMania 31 but felt he wasn't quite ready yet (and felt some of the crowd turning on him), the best way to get him ready is to send him to boot camp.

5. Not really, no.

6. You have some wild theories, man.

7. OK, so why do you care about ratings and such?

8. You're a crazy person.

9. Is that you Alex Jones?

10. It's just a crazy person saying crazy things.

11. I think people get hung up on ratings because part of making the product interesting is analyzing the ratings and matching them up with the segments in order to predict who will be featured the next week in prime positions. Honestly, with the product as shitty as it has been, speculation is the only thing keeping a lot of people interested, IMO.

12. People worry about money that isn't there's. No idea why.

13. It's not like Reigns would get better by actually working matches. Let's send him to "Texas" to train with Austin or Taker. Two guys who have never trained anyone. Now that he's been off of TV and full of ring rust he will get over for sure! It's genius.

14. That parrot is whispering some wild stuff in your ear. Seriously though, that wouldn't have been a bad idea on WWE's part considering how the crowd was faltering on Reigns a bit during that boring Orton feud.

15. Played Super Mario 3D World and Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD today. Holy shit these graphics are crazy good.

16. ThebrazilianpsychoOctober 23, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Booking Cena/Orton as the main event of HITC is one of the reasons why Vince is not a billionaire.

17. I don't think it's the case, but again, this is wrestling. There is no such thing as a crazy theory b/c I could trump that with something that was actually true

18. He was in April.

19. They just seemed too prepared. Like, if Reigns-Rollins happens at NOC, it doesn't make sense that Rollins tries to cash in on Brock later that night, because according to how WWE has pushed Reigns, after a match with him you shouldn't be feeling well enough to do anything but go to the hospital.

20. Eh, I think WWE is slowly realizing that they need to build new stars. That's why Bryan, Reigns, Rollins, and Ambrose have all been featured very prominently. Unfortunately, injuries took out half of those guys though.

21. The only thing Taker could do for him is walk him through how to have a match with Taker. Thst Taker would completely lay out. Wouldn't help Reigns at all in the long term. Austin wouldn't bither. It's not worth his time to train plucky new comers. It's a seriously dumb conspiracy theory.

22. I mean, yeah, it was curious for them to run a lengthy match between them Rollins/Reigns on the RAW before the PPV. Then again, they just did the same with Ziggler/Cesaro, but that's an IC title situation and WWE doesn't give a shit about that.

23. Too prepared to have wrestlers already on the roster keep wrestling. You're right seems totally improbable.

24. This is a stupid theory.

25. It's interesting.

26. I see that Google top searches are nicer. Before if I typed in Tom Cruise, the top searches would be "gay", "overrated, "douche", "fag", "jerk", "ugly". Now it's just "from", "awesome", "dead", "left handed".

27. I meant more of the getting him off of TV due to fake injury being a good idea, if only for a couple months to freshen him up.

28. A lot of the ratings attention goes back to the Monday night Wars, when ratings competition was a very real thing for the companies.

29. Am I the only one that wishes Reigns and Rollins would do a double-turn? I don't care for face Reigns and I'm not really buying heel Rollins. Not sure what the opposite would look like but I'm game for it.

30. It's more their style to shove him down your fucking throat whether you like it or not.

31. If Reigns is the next Cena, then we're in for a looooong run of Reigns as a face.

32. The whole industry was built on a lie they kept going for 70 years. I don't think anything is really out of bounds.

33. Also, Rollins would be a fun face in the Jeff Hardy daredevil sense. Then again, I like the dude and want to see him wrestle for awhile and keep his health/sanity.

34. Sorry. I thought you were saying the stupid they faked Reigns injury theory was interesting. I'm just all fired up about the stupidity.

35. MikeyMike, WitnessOctober 23, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Watching Survivor Series 07 because why the hell not.

36. ThebrazilianpsychoOctober 23, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Rollins has this Never-say-die attitude that is perfect for a babyface.

37. Taking a guy they are trying to push to the moon off tv because a couple of crowds weren't high on him is totally out of bounds.

38. He does like to throw himself around in the ring. he did some kind of cannonball in some nothing Raw match once. it made me cringe a little.

39. The two tone hair and smug face scream heel.

40. Great show! Batista and Taker have a Great War inside the cell and Shawn/Orton is a forgotten classic.

41. ThebrazilianpsychoOctober 23, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Hardy has that too, and he worked as a babyface.

42. Yeah, like a mother with bad cooking.

43. Is that when Shawn couldn't superkick him?

44. Do I need to start listing crazy stuff wrestling promoters have proven to have done? That doesn't mean Vince actually pulled the guy from tv, it means we should know better than to count Vince out from pulling something like this

45. What's the difference between cancer and Dane Cook's comedy?

There are treatments for getting through cancer.

46. His face is not nearly as smug.

47. Yep. Super kick was banned. So he had to dig into his veteran bag of tricks.

48. MikeyMike, WitnessOctober 23, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Yes. Great show. End of 07 is when WWE kicked off one of their best periods.

49. You can ignore Dane Cook. Cancer will kill you or anyone you love if you try the same route.

50. The more I watch Sami Zayn, the more I feel he could make more money as a Hollywood stuntman. That would have totally been a fun Attitude-era gimmick, right? The Stuntman. He could bring in his Hollywood pals. Perform stunts where you think he's hurt but he's really playing dead...or is he?

51. Pulling him off TV during their admitted slow period to get him really ready for their Rumble-to-WrestleMania boom period? Not that crazy of a concept.

52. In his WWE run there were few better faces than Hardy.

53. We can count Bince out from pulling this. It's a completely moronic theory.

54. One of their best runs was from late '07 through WrestleMania 25.

55. ThebrazilianpsychoOctober 23, 2014 at 6:26 PM

I wasn't saying he was the best.

56. So he's the Blue Blazor?

57. I remember him kicking Orton's face off a few times.

58. Taker is a master at the "little things" that get a character over. And he's pretty well-versed at pacing, selling as a monster ... some of the things Reigns is lacking as a singles wrestler. As far as Austin, I don't know him personally. Maybe he would bother.

59. He in fact did play dead at some point.

60. Didn't he used to be popular?

61. I'll admit I liked his Retalliation stand up.

62. Around the same time Carlos Mencia was too. Bad times for stand up.

63. I wish WWE would call him up already.

64. If you know how long McMahon will be alive, you'll have your answer when.

65. Peeing himself and baring his behind were moronic to a lot of people but he thought they were good ideas and did them anyway. If he thinks taking Reigns off tv is a good idea then he'd do it in a heartbeat.
    See, you are projecting on to Vince what you think is moronic. I'm not saying this is smart or dumb, I'm saying if Vince thinks it's a good business move then he'd do it in a heartbeat.

66. Gunther the Nasty LoserOctober 23, 2014 at 6:30 PM

HEY THE KID

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjv9DyB4x-k (The Candle)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzwbYr-ivkw (Come to the Sabbath)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO8ybjvthVY (Cremation)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeuNWpirL1g (Welcome Home)

67. I just watched a movie the other day called "Simon Sez" starring Dennis Rodman and Dane Cook. As bad as you'd imagine.

68. Must be why Taker trains so many guys. It's more likely he's old as shit and suffering from years on injuries and doesn't have time. How does he gain more by having Taker show him how to stand still and work a crowd reaction instead of going out every night and actually working on his craft? Same goes for Austin. He doesn't train people. Why would he be training this guy now? You get better by doing and you learn best from teachers who know how to teach. Most good teachers teach. Being good at something doesn'tmean you can teach it. Austin and Taker have zero training experience. It makes no sense to fake an injury to a guy you're pushing to the moon to go have him train with guys for months with no proven track record of training anyone.

69. I keep holding out they'll do a 4-on-4 NXT Survivor Series match and have him be the standout. Then debut him on the main roster the night after.

70. glad you actually title the links. Thank you for that.

71. You're projecting that Vince would just pull a guy off tv and house shoes instead of having him on TV and house shows. He wouldn't let Steamboat take a break for his kids birth. Why's he going to just take a new big time baby face he's trying to push off tv? It doesn't make dollars it doesn't make sense.

72. Anyone see Grand Budapest Hotel?

73. I don't really care about that stuff outside of the occasional "I wonder how many buys Survivor Series 2000 got". Outside of that, I don't pay much attention. Best guess as to why people do care? To see what works and what doesn't. What made money, what drew. Just out of interest.

74. Gunther the Nasty LoserOctober 23, 2014 at 6:33 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C5qg7Nrnmk (Every Cosby Show intro)

75. It's a Wes Anderson movie.

76. Just because Austin and Taker aren't "trainers" doesn't mean they can't teach a guy a lot about how to work main-event style. Kobe Bryant isn't a "coach" but I'm pretty sure he could teach you how to shoot a fadeaway. You're leaning on the fact that Austin and Taker haven't trained anyone before now ... which discounts the possibility that they'll ever become interested in working with somebody. And if Reigns wasn't getting better after working real matches with Orton, Kane and other vets that WWE holds in high regard, why's it so weird to think WWE would want to try another teaching method? Not ever person learns with the same style.

77. Gunther the Nasty LoserOctober 23, 2014 at 6:35 PM

So it's all quirky which means that it must be brilliant

78. Reigns = Rock, Ambrose = Austin, Rollins= Triple H.

79. I'm saying he would if he thought it was a good idea. Vince has done tons of stuff people thinks he's stupid for doing. He torpedoed the invasion and lost out on tons of revenue cause he didn't want fans believing a company he owned was better than another company he owned. That made no dollars but it made sense to Vince. If it makes sense to him then he will do it.

80. Gunther the Nasty LoserOctober 23, 2014 at 6:37 PM

But that's how it works, I think

81. ThebrazilianpsychoOctober 23, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Switch Reigns to HHH spot.

82. I'm talking in terms of characters.

83. Watching Survivor Series '96 and seeing all this stuff I'd either forgot or never knew. Like what was the name of the Al Snow-Marty Janetty tag team? And there's a guy named "The Stalker" in Rock's debut match.

84. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSEzGDzZ1dY

85. That guy named the stalker used to be a great wrestler named Barry Windham. That's a twist!

86. I thank you very much.
    those faces man. That's what I loved about Cosby. He didn't always have the best material but he worked a laugh out of you.

87. The New Rockers. You never would have guessed, would you?

88. Gunther the Nasty LoserOctober 23, 2014 at 6:39 PM

He knew how to work. He'd never have to go to NXT

89. They had X's on their singlets ... I thought it'd be something like "Team Extreme"

90. Oh wow, that is Barry Windham. Who signed off on that gimmick?

91. HHH was a better worker than Rock.

92. Jannetty just seemed so basic. The only thing he ever put effort into was wrestling. If he ever changed his gear or worked on a character maybe he could have risen above part-time job guy. Excluding the drug stuff, of course

93. It made sense to Vince to have his company totally dominate the rival company. TOTALLY CRAZY FOR A GUY LIKE VINCE! Why would he ever pull that one. Please. If Vince wants to push Reigns then Reigns will be fucking shoved down your throat. That is Vince.

94. This thread is POPPIN'. POP! POP!

95. ThebrazilianpsychoOctober 23, 2014 at 6:43 PM

I'm talking about popularity in the future.

96. You didn't know the Stalker was Barry Windham? Geez.

97. Gunther the Nasty LoserOctober 23, 2014 at 6:43 PM

If you happened to take the urinal next to me today, you'd know I had asparagus with lunch

98. Gunther the Nasty LoserOctober 23, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Yesterday the daily thread was almost poopin'

99. Broncos are proof any team can get below the cap if they want to be.

100. Gunther the Nasty LoserOctober 23, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Goes the weasel, the weasel

101. Troy and Abed on the Blog!

102. And how do we know Reigns isn't more of a HHH project and Vince is/was just giving him the, "OK, let's see how this works" treatment?

103. I don't even think I'm gonna watch season 6. Community with Troy isn't really community.

104. Gunther the Nasty LoserOctober 23, 2014 at 6:46 PM

You know what I'm sick of?

People post naked pictures of their kids who are already a couple years old, sometimes older

105. I'll watch it because Troy-less Community is still better than most shows on TV.

106. He had small periods of time where he was awesome, in 1993 and 1995, but then he'd fall right off.

107. I disagree - Rob Feinstein.

108. Idk man. Last half of Season 5 without Troy was probably my least favorite stretch of Community.

109. Was there a jobber history class I was supposed to take before I got here?

110. Steve Nash out for the year.

111. Gunther the Nasty LoserOctober 23, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Of course, the people who do this are also the ones who wish their spouse "Happy engagement-versary" and "happy day-we-met-versary"

112. Pop goes the weasel cuz the weasel goes pop.

113. I always liked him in the ring. Even in 98 WCW

114. It's Barry Windham.

115. why haven't the Lakers bought him out? Just hand the guy a check and ask him to call it a day

116. MikeyMike, WitnessOctober 23, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Lol at Melina failing at her entrance.

117. Gunther the Nasty LoserOctober 23, 2014 at 6:50 PM

I'm talking about someone I know who does it with her daughters.

So, Feinstein couldn't care less

118. Gunther the Nasty LoserOctober 23, 2014 at 6:51 PM

*at not being a snaggletooth

FTFY

119. I don't even think it's cool with newborns. Just a bit of creepiness to it even though it isn't intended

120. With a ridiculous moustache and looking nothing like the Barry Windham I'm familiar with.

121. Yes, basic wrestling knowledge. Very unnecessary for the average smark

122. Gunther the Nasty LoserOctober 23, 2014 at 6:53 PM

DAT MOCKINGBIRD on Agents of SHIELD

Thought I think she looks better as a brunette

123. Because Vince is still alive.

124. Rivers is lucky he's hidden away in a whale's vagina, he's quite the asshole

125. Gunther the Nasty LoserOctober 23, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Rivers Cuomo is really the "Can you hear me now?" guy

I hate Weezer

126. He's grown on me. Maybe, cause we are kindred country boy spirits

127. I just can't imagine that someone who posts regularly at a place like this would be like, "the Stalker was Barry Windham? Golly!" It's pretty well known stuff. Just makes me think of you as an amateur or a child. No offense. You just don't know your shit.

128. Love Rivers. Dudes got fire.

129. Reigns = Umaga Ambrose = Zach Ryder Rollins = Dalph but i a mesimest

130. MikeyMike, WitnessOctober 23, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Sadly, I don't think it affects them much. Time to hang it up.

131. Gunther the Nasty LoserOctober 23, 2014 at 6:56 PM

The Ohio River had fire

B/c Cleveland

132. Eh, and blame Norv if you want, but the fire hasn't done him any good in the playoffs

133. MikeyMike, WitnessOctober 23, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Wrong river.

134. Gunther the Nasty LoserOctober 23, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Really?

The answer is still b/c Cleveland

135. I watched the breakfast club videos sometimes just for the lulz. It kills me when these old rappers talk about dropping their new album. If you haven't dropped in years why are you now trying to release new material in this musical climate? People be delusional

136. An amateur wrestling fan as a opposed to ... a professional?

137. I'm not making any claims about his ability or success. I just enjoy the guys attitude.

138. He didn't want you to know that he was there.

139. davidbonzaisaldanamontgomeryOctober 23, 2014 at 6:58 PM

I'll blame Norv, Rivers nearly beat New England on the road in bad weather on one leg. Dude is a gamer

140. Fair enough, rubs me the wrong way. (Used to Eli's near comatose state)

141. Gunther the Nasty LoserOctober 23, 2014 at 6:58 PM

I didn't even know there was a Cuyahoga River, but as I understand it, Cuyahoga Falls is just the outskirts of Cleveland, so same difference

142. Yeah. Exactly. You just don't know your shit. That's cool. I'll just avoid your opinions since you're a Johnny Come Lately. No worries.

143. I'm interested to see how rappers are going to act/dress when they get really old. I was watching a documentary on A Tribe Called Quest you see the guys from that era who are in their late-40s and early-50s trying to figure out what to do with themselves.

144. davidbonzaisaldanamontgomeryOctober 23, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Cause they're tanking anyways and he wanted to play

145. Loser might appreciate this. I met Richard Masur randomly at a political event tonight.

He was Dan Aykroyd's brother in My Girl 1 and 2 and was Sean Astin's dad in Encino Man.

To be he was the original dad on Blosson. I freaked out

146. Gunther the Nasty LoserOctober 23, 2014 at 6:59 PM

I used to have The Breakfast Club on video

147. MikeyMike, WitnessOctober 23, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Yup. Cleveland's main county is Cuyahoga, like Allegheny (sp) and Pittsburgh.

148. Gunther the Nasty LoserOctober 23, 2014 at 6:59 PM

I've been to Blossom for shows

149. Damn, I feel like I just lost a Twitter follower.

150. davidbonzaisaldanamontgomeryOctober 23, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Bill Walton stopped by the network, I was geeking out as he walked by my cubicle. THROW IT DOWN BIG MAN

151. I've tired of the typical QB speech of "we did a good job, we executed"(I swear if I hear the word executed one more time!) so I like seeing a guy show some fire and emotion freely.

I'm also a fan of Richard Sherman so clearly I'm a monster.

152. Dude, I bring Richard Masur and you counter with Walton? Fuck...

153. davidbonzaisaldanamontgomeryOctober 23, 2014 at 7:00 PM

SANDERS WITH A TD and my fantasy football team is already off to a good start. My Chargers, not so much.

154. I just watched one with Onyx and they really can't handle being 40 year olds. Charlamange called Fredro out about the 50 Cent fight and he was all "I'm southside Queens all day blah blah blah". Dude you 40 and probably haven't lived in the project in decades. Go online and check your portfolio and chill

155. How does he walk? Just wondering since I've heard so much about how f'd up his feet and back are.

156. davidbonzaisaldanamontgomeryOctober 23, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Hey, he was good in My Girl >_>

157. the redhead can still get it.

158. It's all good. You just aren't very knowledgable on the subject matter of the blog. No bigs.

159. Gunther the Nasty LoserOctober 23, 2014 at 7:01 PM

He'll always be the dad in License to Drive to me

160. Well, if you want to tank, playing a guy with no legs is a smart way to go about it.

161. Just keep on watching you'll keep on learning. Best of luck to you.

162. davidbonzaisaldanamontgomeryOctober 23, 2014 at 7:02 PM

He actually looked like he was moving fine, didn't see anything immediately broken about him, but I'm sure he's plenty fucked up from his injuries

163. He lives one town over from me. I had no idea

164. My mid-90s wrestling knowledge is lacking, I will give you that. I wasn't really watching wrestling at the time. Which is why the Network is great for me because I can fill that gap between when I was a kid and now.

165. That's what I said!

166. Wait, there were two Blossom dads? The hell

167. Gunther the Nasty LoserOctober 23, 2014 at 7:03 PM

As someone who only knows what rap was available on MTV back in the day, I suspect that the rappers who were more about message than image have an easier time with it

168. The original Blossom pilot, the parents were together and Joey was named Donnie.

169. Gunther the Nasty LoserOctober 23, 2014 at 7:04 PM

He upvoted Yankee's suggestion to kill myself

170. If you were WWE, how much would you be willing to pay for the rights to the TNA video library?

171. Bout tree fiddy.

172. I still find it slightly odd that dreads are so popular nowadays. They're a religious symbol. Obviously people can do what they want with their hair but I can't imagine turbans or those side curls that orthodox jews have ever becoming the fresh new style.

173. For a second I thought you meant Richard Masur.

174. A pack of skittles.

175. I think the Run-DMC's of the world have adjusted quite well. It's the people with the gangsta stuff that have struggled. I don't understand being 40 and worrying about street cred. Go to your kids basketball games and sit down somewhere.

176. Gunther the Nasty LoserOctober 23, 2014 at 7:05 PM

You're not the WWE! You're that damn Loch Ness Monster!

177. Not much really. Where are they going to make money off of it?

A match or two on an Angle, Hardy, or Sting compilation?

80 bucks.

178. And it hurts them that hip-hop culture is so much about youth and so young itself. R&B or rock fans get excited when a 50-year-old artist who's been out of the game comes back for a nostalgia run. Hip-hop fans are like, "Get your old a** out of here, grandpa."

179. dude you should have told me to sit before dropping that bomb on me.

180. Five finger discount....seriously offer the mannequin hand Ambrose threw at Rollins monday

181. davidbonzaisaldanamontgomeryOctober 23, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Why would I bother? It would be like the NFL buying Arena Football archives

182. In my opinionation, the sun is going to surely shine!

183. The original theme was My Perogative.

184. TAKE IT TO THE HOLE BIG MAN!!!!

185. And your newwwww TNA World Champion, Mannequin Rollins.

186. I think there is a difference in 50 year old Gene Simmons saying "I want to rock and roll all night" and 40 year old Snoop saying "b*tches ain't sh*t"

187. Or worse, the XFL archives.