RIP Dusty Rhodes

HHH announced on WWE.com that "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes has passed away at the age of 69.

Discuss your memories and Dusty moments here.

RIP Dream.

Comments

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9py4aMK3aIU .

2. As of right now, not even Meltz is reporting it

3. Easily one of the best promos ever. RIP Dream.

4. WWE.com announced it

5. It just was announced

6. When I was a kid I only knew Dusty from his WWF run with the polka dots. My mind was blown when I learned what a huge deal he was in the 70s and 80s.

7. His sources are telling him Dusty is dead unless he's alive.

8. Stranger In The AlpsJune 11, 2015 at 12:08 PM

The WWE Network should be interrupting regular programming for a Dusty memorial, followed by an airing of the American Dream doc. Just my opinion.

9. Fuck, that's a shocker.

RIP Dream. Loved your theme music.

10. http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/118-daily-updates/42979-dusty-rhodes-passes-away

11. HHH has tweeted it.

12. "The only details we've heard is that he had a fall at his house earlier
    today and his kidneys were shutting down and he started to get
    dehydrated."

13. Macklin, Man Without FearJune 11, 2015 at 12:09 PM

Well news juuuust broke. Let's give them 20 minutes before we string them up.

14. Yeah I said this on the other thread, if they had an actual production team maybe they could.

But they don't, so they won't.

15. I'm glad he got one more Dusty Finish

16. Let's let it play out and see how it goes

/levity

17. Dude was looking real bad the last few times he was on TV.

18. Vince is probably pissed Goldust vs. Stardust at WM32 is ruined.

19. What a shame. One of the GOAT. He did look like he lost some weight over the last few years, who knows if it was healthy weight loss or otherwise.

20. Heaven needed a Booker.

21. Greatest talker of all-time. RIP.

22. Every single person from the mixed tag am WM6 is dead now.

23. I'm just going to assume he also started bleeding from the forehead.

24. God dammit.

25. They did a "Warrior Week" when that happened so I'm sure they'll put something together shortly.

26. Joey Jo-Jo Junior ShabbadooJune 11, 2015 at 12:11 PM

Yeah, his kidneys were probably already failing. Sounds a lot like what almost happened to me, actually.

27. Almost ashamed to admit I morbidly checked that match out to see if it was officiated by Joey Marella. Nope, it was Hebner. So he and Jesse are the only two involved people still alive.

28. They managed to do a "special report" to announce the Randy Savage induction. I'm sure there's somebody at Stamford that could do an announcement.

29. One of the best promo men in wrestling history. Even during the twilight of his in-ring career, he took the Common Man gimmick, polka dots and all, and ran with it as hard as he could to get it over.

30. Question: Will Cody drop Stardust in order to pay homage (not unlike Chavo when Eddie died)?

I know Stardust was Dust's nickname... face turn?

31. RIP to the Dream

He never looked like he was in the best of health over the last few years, but maybe part of it was that he had lost so much weight.

32. 69 is pretty young.

33. Not for a wrestler it seems.

34. The first paramedic pronounced him dead but the second one is saying he's alive!

35. It is but Big Dust didn't seem to have lived the healthiest life.

36. Tearable news 8(. I was just watching his bull-rope match vs Steve Corino at Living Dangerously 2000 this morning! Rest In Piece, Dusty.

37. He turned something rather corny like Sapphire selling out to DiBiase and made it feel personal and real. "When you gonna get NASTY, Big Dust?? When you gonna get EVEN, Big Dust?" Almost like he was shooting on the polka dot gimmick. "I offered up my INNOCENCE to her, and she paid me back in scorn!"

38. He put a lot of miles on himself in this 69 years

39. I didn't bring it up, but I was thinking the same.

40. RIP Dream. I always liked it when you would say Sabotage.

41. That dude got more out of 69 years than most would've gotten out of 169 years.

42. 69 is like 200 in wrestler years.

43. I know he gets a lot of flack for the booking and all but the guy was a genius on the mic, could hold a crowd like few others before or since and he gave us WAR GAMES. That alone earns him love. RIP Dream and thank you.

44. I was wondering who the ref was..

45. THEY BE CLUBBERIN TONY.

46. True enough.

He's just the common man...

47. "The Four Horsemen are gonna have to ride on a different planet.......... 'cause I reserved this stratosphere for me and you........"

48. Fuck, all I can think of was the pre-Wrestlemania angle with Cody and Goldust, where Dusty looked TERRRRRIBLE. I remember that setting off a lot of alarms.

49. He put a lot of miles on that body, both literally and figuratively.

50. I remember on his DVD, they talk about it with pretty much everyone agreeing it was a big rib by McMahon but Dusty just made it work as only he could.

51. THERE'S A LADEH IN THE MEN'S BATHROOOOM

52. Is this the death of one of the highest legends since Savage?

53. He finally found where sweet Sapphire went. And without any help from Detective Duggan either.

54. Y'know, for a guy who was morbidly obese for a good chunk of his life - and was a pro wrestler - 69 ain't that bad at all. RIP, Dusty.

55. Ah, that's right. Thanks, nerd.

56. No prob, nerd

57. Theberzerker, #1 HUSS CHOMPIONJune 11, 2015 at 12:15 PM

Aw man, first Christopher Lee now Dusy...they be clubberin' my heart, Tony :(

58. oh wow RIP Big Dust. One of the greatest.

59. Joey Jo-Jo Junior ShabbadooJune 11, 2015 at 12:15 PM

For me it was the E:60 piece, but that was shot over a year ago. I just saw the bit with Maria from the HOF this year on WWE.com, and he looked really, really bad.

60. Macklin, Man Without FearJune 11, 2015 at 12:16 PM

First thing that came to mind was the Rhodes Family vs. Shield from Battleground 2013.

61. I hope Big Show had nothing to do with it:

62. HEY GOTTA BICYCLE!!!

63. Doing hard times in heaven now. Thanks for the memories Dusty!

64. One of my fave bits is Starrcade '95 where Luger is wrestling Masa Chono, Tony Sciavone talking about Chono hitting "a Mafia kick!"
    Dusty: "Where do you get this from? He kicked the man with a size eight and a half boot, it's got nothing to do with the mafia!"
    Luger hits an elbow. "There, got him with the Scilian elbow!"

65. THERE'S A LADY! THERE'S A LADY IN THE MEN'S BATHROOM!

66. Stranger In The AlpsJune 11, 2015 at 12:17 PM

No has said that Dusty is off to tha muthaship?

67. BULL o' duh wooooods

68. One of my favourite Dusty moments was his Hall of Fame induction where he, Cody and Dustin embraced before his speech. Dustin and Dusty didn't have the best relationship and to see the three of them up there was really nice.

And I'm sure when Dustin and Cody beat Shield for the tag titles, Dusty was very proud, too.

69. “Long Distance Information please, give me Memphis, Tennessee. Tully Blanchard, you’d better phone your match in, Jack!"

Dude was the greatest promo ever, easily.

70. THEY ARE IN THE MEN'S ROOM ON THE LOBBY LEVEL!

71. Such a great, great storyline.

72. cabspaintedyellowJune 11, 2015 at 12:18 PM

This fucking wounds me.

73. HE GOT A BICYCLE!

74. "I have wined and dined with kings and queens and I've slept in an alley on frank and beans."

75. "Ah may not look like the athlete of today thpothed to look like. My bellyth jutht a little biiig, my hineeth jutht a little biiig, but brutha! I am bad, and they know I'm bad..."

RIP...

76. Dusty in 1985 and '86 was a GREAT booker. Tremendous. But no one could have booked a national promotion in a wrestling war for 4 straight years while ALSO wrestling and not horribly burned out. But for awhile, he did everything we praise Russo for wanting to do, but actually executing it: heat on heels, crazy angles, and spots and "things to do" for everybody up and down the card.

77. I was only a WWE fan at first, and my first exposure to the bigger world of wrestling was a non-Apter mag with Dusty on the cover bleeding like an Extra on Game of Thrones.
    As a kid, not knowing the backstage politics or being bothered by match quality, he was a great face who could elicit so much sympathy getting his ass kicked by the Horseman.

78. This one hurts. RIP Dream.

79. You can't beat my prices, but you sure can beat my meat!

80. Which sports net will erroneously report he played for the NY Giants?

81. I hope his last words were "make it good!"

82. Single handedly saved Battleground from being one of the worst PPV's, by presenting an angle that is worth being invested in with believable, likeable characters.

83. Well that finish between Ambrose and Rollins at Elimination Chamber was a fitting tribute.

84. Macklin, Man Without FearJune 11, 2015 at 12:20 PM

Tremendous match and that post match celebration is special. Seeing all three embrace was reminiscent of Dusty's HOF induction.

85. Stranger In The AlpsJune 11, 2015 at 12:20 PM

86. I was thinking about that, but he's already dead too

87. Tony: Dragon Screw Legwhip!
    Dusty: Dat sounds like somethin' I did at the hotel with my wife last night. 'What's that, baby?' 'Oh, dat's just the dragon screw legwhip.'

88. I'm gonna rewatch this one later for sure.

89. And celeb deaths comes in threes...who's next...?

90. Actually Dusty was #3. Jazz great Ornette Coleman was 2.

91. cabspaintedyellowJune 11, 2015 at 12:21 PM

Now I really wish WWE had given them the Rhodes family feud/make-up storyline at Mania this year.

92. That should be FORMER US PRESIDENT Dusty Rhodes

93. This is fucking awful. 69 is still kinda young. We should have gotten 20 more years of him at least.

94. The American Dream theme song was PERFECT for Dusty. It was his Real American.

95. I am now glad they did a Dusty Finish at Elimination Chamber

96. No fucking shit

97. There are a few Dusty Rhodes that the media can confuse him with:

98. He went to the big pay windah in the sky...

99. Holy shit, the picture on HHH's twitter:

100. Starting to get creepy now.

101. Virgil ‏@TheReal_Virgil 2m2 minutes ago
    Dusty Rhodes name was Virgil. They named me after him and I always had respect for that man. #RIPDusty

102. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvKl1vQn2M0

Ambrose does a tremendous Dusty.

103. Up in heaven, he won't need a muffler

104. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfJJXIr1gzQ

105. Hard to look good in general with that cheese-grated forehead.

106. D'ya think Steph feels bad about that whole talk to the hand thing now?

107. Just last night I watched a random-ass WCWSN match between Regal and Psicosis. Dusty remarked that he wanted his own version of Psicosis' ring gear to go deer-hunting with. "They'd think ah wuz a doe, ba-bee!" It was more hilarious than I can describe.

108. Stranger In The AlpsJune 11, 2015 at 12:23 PM

That'll be $20.

109. Joey Jo-Jo Junior ShabbadooJune 11, 2015 at 12:24 PM

Everyone backstage must be devastated. He seemed to be much beloved/revered by everyone, and rightfully so.

110. Wow! Rest in peace to one of the greatest legends ever. No one cut better babyface promos. A top ten overall all time legend. Awful news.

111. Dusty during the Eddie Ohtani match at Starrcade is hilarious, especially his rant about Bobby Heenan being a snake in the grath manager.

112. Wow, Dusty's death made Variety.

113. Silly man. Steph doesn't have feelings!

114. My favorite Dusty memory is when Benoit & Sullivan wrestled in the bathroom at GAB 96 and he lost it when a women came out. Summed up why Dusty was so much fun, even if he never made a lick of sense when announcing. He had that special something very, very few have.

115. So Christopher Lee and Dusty, who will be number three?

116. My all-time favorite Dusty commentary moment.

117. So I have to ask, the Virgil rib? Is that because they were calling Crockett the million dollar man and were saying that dusty was his servant basically? I never really got that?

118. I would hope not considering the first was a fictional performance.

119. Never understood what the big deal was with Dusty when I was younger. The older I got, and the more I got to see of him in his prime on youtube, the more I understood. Dude was legit. I'll put his promos up against anyone's.

He is also probably in my top 5 of people I love to listen to talk about the wrestling business.

120. Ornette Coleman died today too.

121. Due to interference by God, the doctors have reversed the decision. Your winner and STILL a living legend...Dusty Rhodes!

122. http://www.wwe.com/videos/dusty-rhodes-entrance-video-25049472

123. What's this in reference to?

124. There was a show I was watching, which I could remember which PPV, but it was one where the Public Enemy fights Harlem Heat in a street fight and they literally smash each other in the head with baking trays for like 12 minutes and Dusty giggles the entire time. It's truly like the funniest thing he's ever seen. He can't stop laughing. The commentary just wilts under Dusty laughing uncontrollably at these idiots hitting each other in the head with baking trays for 12 minutes.

125. So does Maria Menoudos, I think?

126. Stranger In The AlpsJune 11, 2015 at 12:28 PM

The Legends of Wrestling eps with him are some of the best.

127. Too bad Virgil will never have the respect of the Iron Sheik

128. Hit em with a bithicle..bithicle

129. The view never changes, behbeh. The view never changes, behbeh. The view never CHANGES.

130. Also, Dusty was a GREAT color guy. He was ridiculous, funny, and put shit over. Him, Tony, and Heenan were the only time a 3 man booth worked.

131. Dusty Rhodes went off script during the build to Battleground '13, and put his hand in Steph's face to shut her up... ever since, his promos were 100% scripted.

132. Joey Jo-Jo Junior ShabbadooJune 11, 2015 at 12:29 PM

"He done laid his tired ass out"

133. I was just watching dusty promos this sunday. And he was on the e60 I watched last week. Rip dusty. If you weiil

134. I'm sure this has been posted 100 times but 'Hard Times'

135. Stranger In The AlpsJune 11, 2015 at 12:30 PM

That might be 2 or 3. Never gets old, however.

136. the jawas posted it below.

137. It was because Dusty "acted black."

138. Between Dusty and Scaramanga dying it's a bad day for guys with chest deformities...

139. Did WWE announce a cause of death? I always kinda figured he slimmed down late in life because he was taking better care of himself but maybe he was sick?

140. Since I was never an NWA or WCW watcher, my first impression of him was as The American Dream in WWF. I was a total mark for him back then, too, because he clearly had such a good time in the role he was given.

He earned more respect with me later when I found out as a "smark" that Vince saddled the gimmick to rib him. And Dusty took what anyone else would've failed with and made it absolutely work for him. He became synymous with those polka dots and by god if he didn't make it work.

He also created two wonderful sons in Dustin and Cody, both who have made their own names for themselves and arguably away from the shadow of their father. I know he was incredibly proud of his sons and for good reason.

He was an incredibly entertaining wrestler and seemingly a good father. Or least made amends with his sons in order to be a better father later in life.

That's a life to be celebrated.

141. Awesome picture https://twitter.com/TripleH/status/609055583245885440

142. In his honor, I shall bionic elbow the next 3 people I see.

143. I imagine being his size for so many years took their toll.

144. Dusty's most underrated promo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND4zLt5YctI

145. Akeem was also a rib on Dusty.

146. Macklin, Man Without FearJune 11, 2015 at 12:32 PM

I was watching a Horsemen compilation and Dusty had a promo on Tully Blanchard I loved.

It was mainly Dusty yelling "TULLY BLANCHAAAD!" "I will hunt you down AWWWL OVA DISS COUNTRAAAY"

147. You just don't see old overweight people.

148. I hope they'll have some tribute match, turning Stardust back into Cody and teaming him up with Goldust again.

149. Odds that Flair will be on TV Monday crying?

150. I'm bumping American Dream in my office right now.

151. Per the Observer: "The only details we've heard is that he had a fall at his house earlier today and his kidneys were shutting down and he started to get dehydrated."

152. Jesus. How many people from WM6 in general are still around? I think 7 had been the leader in deceased participants.

153. Extant1979 - Extreme SuperstarJune 11, 2015 at 12:33 PM

Well, this sucks. RIP Dream.

154. It's probably more than a little unfair that the legacy most commonly attached to him is one of the reviled of ways to end a wrestling match. A true legend in every sense of the word.

155. 100%. And then someone will tell him about Dusty.

156. Lmfao big Johnny my muffler fell out

157. Bottom line. He even got those stupid fucking polka dots over. And over huge too.

158. Stranger In The AlpsJune 11, 2015 at 12:34 PM

Yeah, actually I think Cody ditching the Stardust crap and honoring his dad would get him immensely over.......for brief while.

159. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRATbL8eI18

His WWE theme was so great.

160. damn its on the Fox News breaking news banner

161. Crap, just crap. And with Christopher Lee and Ron Moody in the same day. Guess we won't wonder for days about who the "threes" will be this time. Awful at least half-decade for losing icons.

162. I love the one in which they're talking about the Iron Sheik and Dusty says Sheik draws his "weepin'."

163. Extant1979 - Extreme SuperstarJune 11, 2015 at 12:35 PM

There goes the match with the Arrow, although I'd gladly sacrifice it to get Cody a legit push.

164. Could you imagine if he was in the MITB this weekend? The pop whenever he would climb the ladder would be insane.

165. Except for the Macho Man.

166. Yeah, really. That's one of the reason to have a network- to break news yourself.

167. Fuck, what a shitty day, multiple legends gone. RIP, loved Dusty.

168. Stranger In The AlpsJune 11, 2015 at 12:35 PM

Holy shit, yeah. It books itself. But.....you know....

169. AMERICAAAAAAN DREEEEEEEAM

170. Stranger In The AlpsJune 11, 2015 at 12:36 PM

Probably, but I wasn't exactly on board with that, so I won't miss that.

171. I wanted the Arrow match more than anyone, but Cody instantly dropping it a la Chavo/Kerwin is OK by me

172. Where can I buy pig's feet pizza with a little extra snout? Been searching out Mello Yello with my friend at local stores after we watched his commercial from 1988. Seriously.

173. Macklin, Man Without FearJune 11, 2015 at 12:36 PM

If he can, I hope they give Cody Rhodes a microphone and 5 minutes just to talk on Raw.

174. Ornette Coleman, too.

So there will be two more?

175. Joey Jo-Jo Junior ShabbadooJune 11, 2015 at 12:37 PM

I was hoping it was this one.

176. It's a shame someone passing away is the only way WWE might ditch a stupid gimmick.

177. Jim Moody from Oliver! died today too.

178. Now what is really depressing is NO ONE from that mixed tag match is alive today.

179. I'm glad he got that time when it was Authority vs. Dust Brothers and still cut a better promo than 99% of the current roster.

180. At one point, the crowd starts getting on their feet and cheering--but it's not time for that yet, so Dusty throws his hand up. The crowd pipes down instantly.

THAT is charisma, folks. Not posing during an entrance or during a match. It's the ability to control a crowd through the slightest movement.

181. That one is good....but this one is probably better, as far as underrated promos go!

182. Greatest promo he ever did. Chills when he holds up his hand and the crowd goes quiet.

"The view never changes!! The view never changes!!"

183. Sounds like he may have been diabetic.

184. Extant1979 - Extreme SuperstarJune 11, 2015 at 12:39 PM

I'm mostly in favor of getting Stephen Amell some TV time on Raw, as the dude is a legit huge fan and is exactly the kind of celebrity WWE should have on the show. Feuding with someone like Stardust, who acts and speaks like a comic book character, just made enough sense for it to work.
    Hopefully, they find something for the guy to do.

185. Stranger In The AlpsJune 11, 2015 at 12:39 PM

I totally buy him being a guest host on RAW and messing with shit, or being in someone's corner costing Stardust a match.

186. All-Time Best Babyfaces Ever

1. Hulk Hogan
    2. "Stone Cold" Steve Austin
    3. Dusty Rhodes

187. While I may have got into the WWF first, Dusty's booking in the mid-80's made me a fan for life. God bless the Bull o' da Woods and let the American Dream reign eternal.

188. Extant1979 - Extreme SuperstarJune 11, 2015 at 12:41 PM

Green Arrow and Goldust vs. Stardust? Is Dustin cleared to wrestle?

189. I wouldn't find it annoying if you made a Dusty avatar.

190. Chris Hemsworth is the "Janine" for the female Ghostbusters movie. This actor, I like him; ANOTHER! *smash*

191. Bray and Rusev HAD to win again, also. Just hope that WWE thinks Owens is as special as you folk do.

192. It's totally fine to have women objectify a sexy stud male secretary, I guess.

193. Hottest chicks who are known wrestling fans? Maria Menounous and Noelle Foley are definitely on the list.

194. As in WTF Dusty Rhodes is dead